Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 187 Unique Visitors
9,204 WGAN Members in 149 Countries
Last 30 Days: 23,005 Page Views | 12,473 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
LargePro3Tips

Matterport Pro3 Tips request to scan large spaces - 27K sqft20348

fakharimran private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

I need to scan a commercial space of approximately 27 square feet, which includes offices, storage areas, two floors, and a large open parking area. One of the key requirements is to deliver accurate measurements of the building, including the open spaces. I have reviewed several videos and Matterport blogs on scanning large spaces, and I have also printed some APRIL tags in case they are needed.

I’m seeking practical tips on optimizing the scan, such as the ideal tripod height and techniques for efficiently scanning large open areas like the attached example. Since we also need precise measurements from the scan, any advice would be greatly appreciated and I shall be using Pro 3 camera.

Thanks,

Fakhar
Post 1 IP   flag post
US Building
Survey, LLC
Olathe, Kansas
rhelling private msg quote post Address this user
We do this a lot. …and request the CAD from Matterport. My best advice is to keep the scan points close - it takes more time, but the outcome will be better. We try to keep a consistent path every 5 steps or so.

Pay attention to scanning near storefront. I like to have more scan points in these areas. Always scan on both sides of thresholds.

…and if you notice slight misalignment - rescan right away.

27,000sf will likely take 3-4hrs and have well over 200 scan points.

(…obviously keep the tripod level and the spaces well lit.)
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
WGAN-TV | Matterport Pro3 for AEC: Expert Insights on Level of Accuracy, Benefits and Limitations | Guests: 3DLS.XYZ Managing Partner Richard "RJ" Johnson, Architectural Resource Consultants (ARC) as well as the U.S. Institute of Building Documentation (USIBD) President and CEO John Russo and RC Monkeys Director Silviu Stoian | Episode: 193 | Thursday, 15 June 2023

@rhelling

Since you mention: "we also need precise measurements from the scan, any advice would be greatly appreciated and I shall be using Pro 3 camera" the WGAN-TV Live at 5 (recording) show above may be helpful.

You may want to share how the measurements will be used to help crowdsource advice from the community about the accuracy of the Matterport Pro3 Camera scan data.

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
@rhelling thanks for your input and surely I shall be more attentive towards the storefront, my concern was to scan this large area in a way that there shall not be too many scan points and the final tour shall have the measurements in it. Do you have any sample space that for such a large outdoor parking space?

Regarding the tripod level, I am planning to do almost 6 feet, is it ok?

Today I put some APRIL tags in the warehouse area site preparation also the site has a mezzanine floor that is only accessible from the main warehouse, I shall treat it as a separate floor?

Thanks,

Fakhar
Post 4 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod Thanks Dan, you are always very helpful. So nice of you to give such wonderful information.
Post 5 IP   flag post
103778 5 5