Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 274 Unique Visitors
9,179 WGAN Members in 149 Countries
Last 30 Days: 22,060 Page Views | 12,608 Unique Visitors | 31 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Mike DelPreteReal Estate AgentsReal Estate BrokersStatistics

Homes.com Overtakes Realtor.com to be #2 Portal with $1 Billion Spend20248

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Chart courtesy of Mike DelPrete

Chart courtesy of Mike DelPrete

Homes.com Overtakes Realtor.com to be #2 Portal with $1 Billion Spend

Hi All,

While Zillow continues to be the #1 real estate portal, Homes.com has overtaken Realtor.com to be #2 portal by spending $1 billion on marketing:

Mike DelPrete Blog (10 September 2024) Portal War ‘24: What $1 Billion in Advertising Buys You

How does this impact real estate photographers?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Gilroy, California
Dataventurer private msg quote post Address this user
How does this impact real estate photographers?

Let me tell you "some news you can use"...

I use traffic statistics for the leading search platforms in my messaging with agents, so I was interested to note the displacement of Realtor.com as #2 behind Zillow and in front of Redfin. So I jumped on the site and pulled up a couple of current listings for which I provided media.

No Zillow 3D Home Tours in site!!!! Uh-oh...

I wrote to Homes.com Support and inquired about this. Here was the reply:

"Hi Dave,

Matthew here with the Homes.com, thanks for reaching out!

We will not be able to support Zillow 3D tours as we cannot support their platform on the Homes.com site!

However, we will be able to support Matterport! As long as the information is updated in the MLS, we should be able to show it!

Additionally, as part of our newest Homes.com paid Membership, we now offer the ability to schedule complementary Matterport Scans!

Please let me know if you would like any further assistance or have any other questions!

My best,

Matthew

CoStar Group

(800) 431-5509

https://www.homes.com/ <END OF REPLY FROM HOMES.COM>

First piece of bad news: pitching the benefits of the Zillow 3D Tours has no value on the up-and-coming #2 real estate search platform. My next step is to find out from Homes.com if they support an external web page for property media the way that Realtor.com does. Realtor.com only displays ONE media link, so if the property listing has video and a 3D tour, you've got to chose one of them or, do what I do and put a link to the property page that presents all the available media. I will follow up here about this on my findings from Homes.com

Secondly, the mention that a paid Membership to the site for an agent will enable receipt of FREE Matterport tours. Yikes, STRIKE 2! So maybe another action item for us media suppliers is to contact Homes.com and explore how to be one of their Matterport providers!?!?!

That may be too close to fraternizing with the enemy...Anyway, I'm still in the process of considering changes in my marketing messaging.

If you have any ideas of how to "roll with the punches" here, please join in and share with the WGAN community!!!
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Gilroy, California
Dataventurer private msg quote post Address this user
Back after some traffic research on SimilarWeb looking at the real estate market. It ain't lookin' as rosy for Homes.com as the article above presents. As Dan pointed out in the article, Homes.com spent $234 million in the last quarter, which produced a bump in traffic, but it was not classified as "organic" traffic. So Homes.com basically forked out the cash to get a place in the ranking. And the question that is asked in the article is "How much will it cost to maintain that position?"

The SimilarWeb reports (the free ones that cover market segments, luckily one of those segments is real estate!) show a bit of a different perspective. Posted below are the traffic reports for the quarter June through August and for the month of August. You can see that the overall ranking in far right column, same for the month and the quarter. I think I'm done worrying about this for now...

Post 3 IP   flag post
103491 3 3