• Split-Screen: As-Built/BIM/Matterport
• Timeline for Collaboration and Docs.
• Stakeholders Communications
• Enhancing IoT Control
• Facility Management
• IoT Control of Hardware
• Data/Asset Management
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 299 Unique Visitors
9,173 WGAN Members in 149 Countries
Last 30 Days: 26,652 Page Views | 13,387 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360AdviceGearMatterportPro3Tall Tripod

Attaching Matterport Pro3 to a rope? Your thoughts?20027

RomainDE private msg quote post Address this user
Hello, I need to lower my matterport pro3 into large tanks. Is there a way to attach the pro3 to a rope and lower it?

Thank you for your understanding
Good day to you.

Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Birmingham, Alabama
rko1 private msg quote post Address this user
Easiest way is to climb down the ladder and hold the tripod. We have done it many times climbing up a ladder. Should not be a problem. Just make sure the Pro 3 is above your head.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Unfortunately there are places where you can't put a ladder.
You have to climb down by rope.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Aerial_Perspective private msg quote post Address this user
Have you tried scanning with the pro 3 upside down (eg. hanging by a rope)?

I wonder if the system would recognise the orientation and automatically level up the horizon properly.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial_Perspective
Have you tried scanning with the pro 3 upside down (eg. hanging by a rope)?

I wonder if the system would recognise the orientation and automatically level up the horizon properly.

If you can scan upside down — building on @Aerial_Perspective idea mount the Matterport Pro3 Camera to round disc and then secure rope to 4 corners or square wood so you can prevent the platform from rotating?

Dan

PS @RomainDE welcome to the WGAN Forum.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thank you very much for your feedback.
I will try to do that.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@RomainDE

Please let us know how it goes.

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
When we have needed to get camera up or down vertical distances we’ve either loaded camera and tripod into a backpack or we’ve worked as a team. Someone goes down, then the other lowers the rig on a rope. But without a ladder? That’s a new one. My rope climbing days are over.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
MatterFix private msg quote post Address this user
We have rigged up a Pro2 to function upside down and lowered it on a pole to do manhole scans…works quite well. However I do not think the Pro3 can be modified to operate the same way. I think the only solution for scanning while lowering a Pro3 would be to place it on a platform of some kind that could be lowered, however the platform would have to be pretty stable…so I don’t think having it on ropes would be steady enough.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Sdoughtie private msg quote post Address this user
@MatterFix Do your scans come out upside down or does MP correct them automatically?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Sdoughtie private msg quote post Address this user
Very interesting problem to solve. Please let us know of your solution!

Leica has a few solutions, but they are rather (REALLY) expensive.

Looks like a job for the scanning drones in Prometheus.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdoughtie
@MatterFix Do your scans come out upside down or does MP correct them automatically?
I tried to scan upside down with the pro 3, it doesn't convert and scans the ceiling.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home3D
When we have needed to get camera up or down vertical distances we’ve either loaded camera and tripod into a backpack or we’ve worked as a team. Someone goes down, then the other lowers the rig on a rope. But without a ladder? That’s a new one. My rope climbing days are over.
We'll probably have to abseil down because there's a hole over 20m deep
Post 13 IP   flag post
Aerial_Perspective private msg quote post Address this user
@RomainDE Thanks for the update. Is this job part of your business or you're working for a company?

Have you thought of renting a handheld scanner for this complex task?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial_Perspective
Thanks for the update. Is this job part of your business or you're working for a company?

Have you thought of renting a handheld scanner for this complex task?
This work is part of my business. I'm in charge of drawing and mapping water and building networks.
Unfortunately, we have a limited budget. I first have to prove that the matterport pro 3 is useful for the job.
Post 15 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@RomainDE The rope idea does not seem plausible, the motor torque would cause sway and alignment issues. Have you considered drones and photogrammetry?
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @ron0987
@RomainDE The rope idea does not seem plausible, the motor torque would cause sway and alignment issues. Have you considered drones and photogrammetry?

@RomainDE

What if you mounted the Pro3 - camera facing up in normal scanning position -- on a round disk with a pole that sticks out on both sides. Use the pole to "lock" the camera position against the steps when you pull tug on the rope (so that the round disk (platform) does not move while scanning.

Am I explaining that okay?

Dan
Post 17 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod taking that idea you could build a platform with two pieces of plywood and four threaded rods at each corner. The platforms bigger than the camera so it can rotate freely. Now days they make scanner tripods that both elevate but are also made to lower an inverted scanner into manholes. You attach the upper part of the platform so you now can lower the Pro3 into the manhole, giving you stability and ability to go down.
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron0987
@DanSmigrod taking that idea you could build a platform with two pieces of plywood and four threaded rods at each corner. The platforms bigger than the camera so it can rotate freely. Now days they make scanner tripods that both elevate but are also made to lower an inverted scanner into manholes. You attach the upper part of the platform so you now can lower the Pro3 into the manhole, giving you stability and ability to go down.

Ah!

That's awesome! A super-long pole from the tripod.

@RomainDE

Does recommendation from @ron0987 help solve the puzzle?

Dan
Post 19 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod but one more feature to add to the Pro3 list. My Faro scanner has an inverted setting for this. Matterport wants to get into the industrial scanning and documentation this would be so easy to just make the setting to invert camera and scan from tripod that lowers the camera upside down.🙃
Post 20 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod I got way too much time on my hands today and this problem stuck in my head. Over thinking it, the reality is as long as you only scan below ground level you can run the scanner upside down. The model would be created inverted with all scans stacked one over the other using that tripod. Then maybe one of the after market software overlays could invert the model for viewing.
Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

RAUBAY 24' Tall Tripod Stand, Extreme Tall Heavy Duty Sports Camera Video Tripod

@RomainDE

Is this 24 foot (7.3 meters) a workaround?

=> RAUBAY 24' Tall Tripod Stand, Extreme Tall Heavy Duty Sports Camera Video Tripod

Best,

Dan
Post 22 IP   flag post
Vanaman06 private msg quote post Address this user
What I would do is engineer an arm that connected to a tripod like pictured above that goes down and connects the camera upright.

Not sure how well it will scan in a hole since you won’t get much data up and down having the walls so close. Might have to scan pretty close together.

Post 23 IP   flag post
103404 23 23