• Split-Screen: As-Built/BIM/Matterport
• Timeline for Collaboration and Docs.
• Stakeholders Communications
• Enhancing IoT Control
• Facility Management
• IoT Control of Hardware
• Data/Asset Management
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 299 Unique Visitors
9,173 WGAN Members in 149 Countries
Last 30 Days: 26,652 Page Views | 13,387 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceLargeQuestionsScanning

Is Scanning a space that is 340,000 sq. ft. even possible?19125

JimmyJim private msg quote post Address this user
Hi. Next week I'm going to check out a building that is approximately 340,000 sq. ft. That's quite large lol... Has anything changed with Matterport allowing us to scan larger buildings? I think the max amount of scans was 200, but I was told you could go over that amount. I understand you can link models by use of Mattertags so perhaps that's the way I would have to go. I haven't seen the place yet, but as I understand it, it is like a giant open warehouse. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it, also regarding pricing. Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Osaka, Japan
Meidansha private msg quote post Address this user
My region is completely different so I will defer pricing to someone else.

With regard to "is it possible"; theroteically: yes. Practically: No.

If you have an ipad pro with the latest processor and a lot of RAM you can scan some pretty big sites in one file. The problem is will the user be able to open them and navigate without their processor crashing.

The other issue is a camera that can scan such a big space effiently. I use the Leica BLK G1 but the Pro 3 is another good option. A Pro 2 on its own is going to become a hinderance with misalignments at about the 400 scan mark. If going with the pro 2 pair it with one of the above cameras and use the Pro 2 for areas that need greater photographic detail.

My latest work is 4 spaces with the biggest single space 86111.28 sqft (8000 sqm) the total area for the 4 spaces is 409028.6 sqft (38000 sqm). The 8000 sqm space crashes on some phones when you start moving around eratically in the tour.
Post 2 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
The only limitation is the iPad.

You can scan 340.000 sqft and bigger. My largest was about 300.000 sqft (congress center). I think I scanned 1.500 scanpoints (most Pro3 some Pro2).

Regarding Pricing - I moved my pricing to day rates and hour rates. You will probably need about 5 days for this job (open space - no furniture - Pro3).
Post 3 IP   flag post
Urbanimmersive
Executive Vice
President
Montreal, Canada
fhliberge private msg quote post Address this user
It is possible with our technology. We did multiple areas over 300000 sqft, even over 500000 sqft. You will need a Ricoh Theta Z1 though.

https://www.urbanimmersive.com/3d_tour_floor_plan
Post 4 IP   flag post
JimmyJim private msg quote post Address this user
Lot's of great info. Thanks guys! I'm using a pro2.
Post 5 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
The max for a Pro 3 camera is under 2000.
I have shot a cruise ship with under 1,200 scans.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
@JimmyJim you can go 1,900 scanpoints on Pro2 with an 8GB DRAM ipad pro for sure, if a 16GB ipad pro was equipped maybe you can get more scan points.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@JimmyJim

I can connect you to a WGAN Member via email that rents Matterport Pro3 Cameras.

Email: DanSmigrod@WeGetAroundNetwork.com

Best,

Dan

P.S. All WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Large
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
There is a thread on MOUG with the app crashing with a Pro3 scanning after about 1800 scans. The guy who is doing it claims he does it with an iPad pro with 16 GB of ram.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Birdsboro, Pennsylvania
Promote2sell72 private msg quote post Address this user
@JimmyJim

About a month or two ago we completed a large project which was approximately 580,000 ft.² with a Matterport Pro 3 with about 4,800 scans in total. It was a large corporate center interior and exterior. I was running an M2 iPad Pro 11" with 1TB of storage. The biggest issue I faced was alignment issues due to the repetitive nature of cubicles and the unique structure being made of entirely glass walls(the walls also transition opacity based upon the sun's orientation in the sky), causing skewing that needed to be manually fixed inside the Matterport app. Overall, the entire process took me approximately 4 1/2 days to capture with no one inside the building. We have been able to successfully do larger spaces with Matterport pro 2 that are in excess of 250,000 ft.² but the alignment issues and the app crashing become quite a hindrance quickly. I would highly suggest trying out a Matterport Pro 3 and developing some good scanning techniques. If you're gonna tackle a space of that size coming into it with a plan is the best thing you can do. Let me know if you need any more help with something like this.

Thanks, Chase.
Post 10 IP   flag post
103404 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?