• Split-Screen: As-Built/BIM/Matterport
• Timeline for Collaboration and Docs.
• Stakeholders Communications
• Enhancing IoT Control
• Facility Management
• IoT Control of Hardware
• Data/Asset Management
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 299 Unique Visitors
9,173 WGAN Members in 149 Countries
Last 30 Days: 26,652 Page Views | 13,387 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Google APIQuestionsWP3D Models

WP3D and Google API charges18892

WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
In the last month, Google has charged me over $900 and it's all linked to map API keys from WP3D. Anybody else have this happen? I had to totally disable anything associated with WP3D and I'm going to delete the plug in because of this. This is insanity.

Of course after disabling all of this, the maps no longer work on the websites I create for my clients. When on earth did they start charging this much money to have access to Google maps? Because of this I will no longer be able to use WP3D. Unless anybody has a cheap fix?? Ross??
Post 1 IP   flag post
WP3D Models
Tech Team
DanielBenion private msg quote post Address this user
I wish I had better news for you. Google has essentially created a monopoly with Maps and is now profiteering all at once. I’ll link the article regarding the updates. A few quotes pulled:

Prices have increased by approximately 1400%.

It has been extremely cost-effective for businesses and was free to end users until yesterday.

Google appears to have finally cashed in on Maps, first monopolizing it and then increasing the prices

Although Google would eventually seek ways to make this cash cow more profitable, the rapidity and aggressiveness of Google’s changes have been surprising. Google has only given a month for preparations to handle changes that could cripple a company’s website functionality.

https://kobedigital.com/google-maps-api-changes/#:~:text=The%20cost%20of%20using%20Google,website%20%E2%80%93%20even%20an%20embedded%20map.

WP3D Models will start exploring alternatives as we know this will have a huge impact on our customers with high traffic.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelray
Of course after disabling all of this, the maps no longer work on the websites I create for my clients. When on earth did they start charging this much money to have access to Google maps?

They started it a few years ago. Apparently before using Google Maps API costed some fee per year. They made it free but started charging per each call for maps/panos etc through this API. They give $200 credit each month but once exhausted you will start paying for every pano/map request through the API.

Be very careful with it. For small clients they may stay within a free credit and they will pay nothing. However as soon as you use it for a big one or for something that is very popular and gets a lot of hits you will start paying a lot.

There is a thread on reddit dated about time Google started charging. Some complained there they got bills over $10000 / month because they were using the API in a car sharing app
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@DanielBenion

Thank you for the update.

WGAN is very happy with www.MapBox.com for some of our maps.

Very high API calls before there is a charge.

I hope that is helpful.

Dan

Post 4 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
GlennTremain private msg quote post Address this user
@DanielBenion so what is the work around? I see article about what s happening but wp3dmodel clients are getting $500-$1000 bills
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
Hopefully Ross is going to figure out how to incorporate what Dan suggested??? Dan, have you talked with Ross about this? Yes, Glenn - I was at that $1000 point in a month! RIDICULOUS! Now, none of the maps work on my website or websites I make for clients. Need a fix fast or else I am going to have to revamp my entire site without WP3D.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@pixelray

Ross sold the company a few years ago to now WP3D Models Head of Product Daniel Bennion (@DanielBenion) and Head of Marketing Andrew Pincock (@WP3D_AP).

WP3D Models Developer Ross Peterson Adds Partners to Grow Development

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
Geez...I'm pretty far behind. Well hopefully we can get some good news soon...

@DanielBenion, or anyone...what is the process for disabling the maps so it doesn't show up as not working? Guessing we can remove the section?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
@pixelray well @3dVuz got charged $500 and told us but we brushed it off because we do site hosting and SEO and we don't use google for any of that and figured it was an ad he was running but when someone sent this WGAN link yesterday I see its a known issue since last year that @WP3D_AP should have addressed and offered a solution last year and sent out an update.

@DanSmigrod have you used www.MapBox.com with wp3dmodels and it solved the problem?

If this has been the issue for a year why wasnt an alternative offered and a blast email to all sent? Or did I miss that email, there is a solution and I'm stirring the pot unnecessarily?

I hope its a case of me being far behind too and a solution is already available and I missed the notice from wp3dmodels!
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
I certainly didn't see anything about it... other from Google...but honestly I prob never really read it closely enough to comprehend what was happening. It's not like they ever came out and said we're going to increase cost by 1400%. That may have grabbed our attention. It took me a while to really figure out what was happening and where it all was coming from, but once I did and realized that the culprit was WP3D, I was slightly enraged that no one hit me over the head with the stop sign sooner.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
New York City
3dVuz private msg quote post Address this user
Ross hasn’t been around in a while. ONE template for single property websites. Don’t hold your breath waiting for Ross.

I’m FURIOUS about this.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
@pixelray we will be starting on documenting this 07/24 and will through youtubes and posting them here
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
Never knew it would be so expensive to point out a place on a map!
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
New York City
Recently I shot a few small retail locations and I uploaded them to Google Street View. Could this have caused such a SPIKE in usage and fees?
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Google has a calculator how much Maps API will cost based on numbers of views. The first 28 000 is free because it is covered by their credit. So until you are below $200 in calculation it is free to you.

https://mapsplatform.google.com/pricing/

I am actually surprised nobody has known about it. When Panoskin started using Google Maps API to turn actual Google 360s into a customised tour and was offering photographers to even get extra profit on it I checked what was happening. It was a great idea but not with Google starting charging for each API call. That when I realised and expressed my opinion here that it would make all big clients complaining to photographers about huge bills from Google.

28000 views subdivided by 30 days is only 900 views /calls per day. Take 30 visitors a day for a 30x 360 photos tour and all of them calling each photo once and you are done with a free Google Credit.
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dVuz
Recently I shot a few small retail locations and I uploaded them to Google Street View. Could this have caused such a SPIKE in usage and fees?

If you are not using Google Maps API there is no charge for anyone. Uploading and viewing Street View on Maps and Earth are still free and I am sure it is going to be that way forever. Only those who are using Maps API to call a map, place information, place photos, including Business Inside View in their apps and websites are affected.
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
Are we getting pushed towards 3D video? Or panoramic still photography? Other than the matterport platform I've never seen a decent Theta virtual tour.$900 out of nowhere might make me bail their platform.
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GlennTremain

About:
Quote:
Originally Posted by @GlennTremain
@DanSmigrod have you used www.MapBox.com with wp3dmodels and it solved the problem?

We use MapBox for the We Get Around Network Find a Matterport Pro Map. (Not with WP3D Models.)

Dan
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@3dVuz

About:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dVuz

Ross sold the company a few years ago to now WP3D Models Head of Product Daniel Bennion (@DanielBenion) and Head of Marketing Andrew Pincock (@WP3D_AP).

WP3D Models Developer Ross Peterson Adds Partners to Grow Development

Dan
Post 19 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
@everyone if you want this fixed you have to independently submit a trouble ticket on their website. Posting here won't do anything. When ross owned it I would approach him and nothing was done compared to when I had individual users file a ticket. Seeing no one has reached out with a solution (not a "oh ok we will get on this" and "start exploring alternatives" when its been known for a year) I advise to each of you ( and those googling and finding this)filling out a support ticket...BEFORE you get a huge bill because you cant dispute it.....you owe it because you didn't understand what you agreed to and put in your credit card into.

it sucks for wp3dmodels and if they have to charge for a conversion I'm fine with that but it's russian roulette and its days till someone gets a $500-1000 bill
Post 20 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
all week....anyone hear from wp3dmodels? the work around is take out map because mapbox doesnt work because pw3dm has to integrate it.

DM and I'll send video on how to do it. we would work on trying to fix but seeing limited offerings compared to other solutions we are testing our seo tweaks to see if the others perform or not before decide to throw money into it.

it only affects big companies so the little guy you are fine
Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
New York City
Should I delete the API from the Google Map field in settings ?
Post 22 IP   flag post
WP3D Models
Tech Team
@3dVuz - In the plugin for those with a lot of views and thus getting impacted by Google's price increase - yes, deleting the API will resolve the issue and no longer make calls to Google Maps.

We are currently investigating what a MapBox integration could look like into WP3D Models. It's not free, but much cheaper with a larger block of views vs Google before increasing fees.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
@DanielBenion don't exclude charging for this for users that face a $500 or month google maps bill. a one time fee I would help sell and then offer it in your store as an upgrade for those that have X amount of matterports
Post 24 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
@DanielBenion ???
Post 25 IP   flag post
WP3D Models
Tech Team
We are wrapping up the feasibility research and its looking good for having full capabilities where users can select either Google Maps or Mapbox for their mapping integration on WP3D Models.

Our next steps is to get an LOE (level of effort) for the work to be developed, tested, and ready. I'll keep this thread updated, or feel free to ping if you want an update sooner!

Daniel
Post 26 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@DanielBenion

Thank you for the update on WP3D Models Google Maps/MapBox options.

In the mean time, is there a WP3D Models training video on how to disable the use of the WP3D Models map feature?

Dan
Post 27 IP   flag post
WP3D Models
Tech Team
Hi @DanSmigrod - great question! The cleanest way to ensure you're not hitting the Google Maps API would be to go into the WP3D Plugin Setttings => Map (Tab) => Google Maps API Key and simply delete your API key, and then hit "Save".

I've inserted an image of that view for reference.

Thanks Dan!
Daniel
Post 28 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@DanielBenion

Would that remove the insertion of the map or does that generate the Google Map message with text through the map?

Dan
Post 29 IP   flag post
WP3D Models
Tech Team
Hey everyone,

Thanks for your patience as each integration comes with its own set of challenges. We have finished the Mapbox integration with WP3D Models and are doing a final round of testing before releasing the update this week. It will have the same administrative settings that we have had with Google Maps as far a map type and default zoom levels.

We are very excited with how it turned out and look forward to any feedback once we push it out.

Best regards,
Daniel
Post 30 IP   flag post
103404 30 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?