• Split-Screen: As-Built/BIM/Matterport
• Timeline for Collaboration and Docs.
• Stakeholders Communications
• Enhancing IoT Control
• Facility Management
• IoT Control of Hardware
• Data/Asset Management
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 299 Unique Visitors
9,173 WGAN Members in 149 Countries
Last 30 Days: 26,652 Page Views | 13,387 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Advice

So I thought I would buy a ginormous tripod...18297

WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
clickable text

I ran across this tripod on Amazon and figured I would need it for outdoor scanning sooner or later. However, I have never before seen this type of head, for lack of better term, on a tripod. I can't find any description of it, nor can I begin to think of how I'm going to get a MP camera on this thing....anyone seen this before??? Did they forget to send me a real head? Anyone have the solution to this puzzle?

Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@pixelray

Looks like a light stand head: not a tripod.

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@pixelray

WGAN Forum tall tripod discussions:
https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/tag/tall-tripod

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
That's what I thought too in regards to what it looks like, but it's definitely listed as a camera tripod and I got it on a whim and quick decision without digging deep. But yes, I think I'm going to return this thing. Getting level would be a nightmare..or impossible actually. Just was wondering if anyone has purchased this and actually uses it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
Ok...I feel like an Idiot. I posted too soon. Feel free to remove Dan...Or keep it up in case there are other idiots.

For 2 days I have been twisting and pulling on that little head thinking there was a screw buried inside that would lead me to the promised land, but I finally just gave up thinking that was it. Thinking that had to be all there was to it, and that surely someone on here could help as they always seem to do (except for no one joining the other group you created 😁😉).... But as I was waiting on answers, I just decided to get medieval on it and attack it with my pliers pulling in all directions and sure enough....
Post 5 IP   flag post
Buster6070 private msg quote post Address this user
The top should come off and have a 1/4" thread available. I have one of these and use it for elevated shots without using a drone. We have a airport in the center of town so flying a drone takes planning. I personally screw in my gimbal (DJI RSC2) with a raveneye and my ipad to frame a shot. Works great.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Buster6070 private msg quote post Address this user
@pixelray lol, you figured it out while I was typing. I'd love to know how a scan turns out with this. What type of situation do you think you'll use this for to scan a space?
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Buster6070
The top should come off and have a 1/4" thread available. I have one of these and use it for elevated shots without using a drone. We have a airport in the center of town so flying a drone takes planning. I personally screw in my gimbal (DJI RSC2) with a raveneye and my ipad to frame a shot. Works great.

@Buster6070

I have had light stands for years. This is the first time I am learning that the top should come off and have a 1/4" thread available.

Thanks!

Dan

P.S. @PixelRay Let's keep it live. Both of us did not know this! There must be others too!
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
@Buster6070

Lol yep, I figured it out! I just needed to get rough with it! I was just simply going to use it for scanning outside on multiple level properties. I am praying that the ground will be level. However. I'm guessing there's not much leveling you can do with a tripod leg like that! I may have to come up with some type of adjustable platform to put this on in those unlevel situations. If I'm being honest, I got this tripod when I saw how tall it was and didn't really do a lot of research on it, thus I really didn't notice the legs being the way they are. What also intrigued me was the price, not going to lie. I have seen some other ginormous tripods that sell for way more than this one did. Once I actually am able to do a scan utilizing this, I will update here.

Seriously Dan, you've had this tripod for years and never knew that top came off?? Too funny
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
@Buster6070
To be a little more specific in regards to answering your question, I do matterport scans for a remodeling company and with the pro 3 now, they want me to capture exteriors with normal 3D scans versus the 360s. I have done a couple for them already with the pro 3, but there wasn't enough data for the exterior upper level of the home because the camera was simply too low to the ground to capture the exterior of the upper floors and roof line properly. So hopefully, this will fix that problem.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Osaka, Japan
Meidansha private msg quote post Address this user

I use this SLIK tripod. It weighs a tonne. But the weight helps to keep it steady in those long Leica BLK scans
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Birmingham, Alabama
rko1 private msg quote post Address this user
We have Manfrotto 24 ft tripods (3), heavy but does the job, and has the correct mount for your Pro 3 or Pro 2 Arca mount. Also would suggest buying some sandbags for extra stability. No matter which tripods (we also have 30 ft painters pole for Ricoh Thetas) ALWAYS can use MORE stability.
Post 12 IP   flag post
103404 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?