• Split-Screen: As-Built/BIM/Matterport
• Timeline for Collaboration and Docs.
• Stakeholders Communications
• Enhancing IoT Control
• Facility Management
• IoT Control of Hardware
• Data/Asset Management
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 299 Unique Visitors
9,173 WGAN Members in 149 Countries
Last 30 Days: 26,652 Page Views | 13,387 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Best PracticesHopscotch InteractivePro3ScanningTip of the WeekTipsTrainingTranscriptWGANTV Training U

WGAN-TV Pro3 Training | Scanning $8 Million Listing with a Matterport Pro318946

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

WGAN-TV Training U in Matterport Pro3 Camera

Buy Matterport Pro3 Camera via Amazon

----

WGAN-TV | (How and Why) Scanning an $8 Million Listing (Under Construction) with a Matterport Pro3 Camera | Guest: Hopscotch Interactive CEO & Chief Media Officer Emily Olman (@Hopscotch) | Episode #197A | Thursday, 22 June 2023 ▶ Part 1 of 2 airs 5 pm ET Thursday, 27 July 2023 on WGAN-TV YouTube Channel.

WGAN-TV | (How and Why) Scanning an $8 Million Listing (Under Construction) with a Matterport Pro3 Camera | Guest: Hopscotch Interactive CEO & Chief Media Officer Emily Olman (@Hopscotch) | Episode #197B | Thursday, 22 June 2023 ▶ Part 1 of 2 airs 5 pm ET Thursday, 3 August 2023 on WGAN-TV YouTube Channel.

Video: WGAN-TV on Location in Atlanta | Intro | Saturday, 22 July, 2023

WGAN-TV Podcast | WGAN Forum Podcast

WGAN-TV Podcast | (How and Why) Scanning an $8 Million Listing (Under Construction) with a Matterport Pro3 Camera | Guest: Hopscotch Interactive CEO & Chief Media Officer Emily Olman (@Hopscotch) | Episode #197A | Recorded: July 22, 2023
Part 1 of 2
Part 2 of 2

WGAN-TV Podcast | Part 1 of 2 | (How and Why) Scanning an $8 Million Listing (Under Construction) with a Matterport Pro3 Camera | Guest: Hopscotch Interactive CEO & Chief Media Officer Emily Olman (@Hopscotch) | Episode #197A

WGAN-TV Podcast | Part 2 of 2 (How and Why) Scanning an $8 Million Listing (Under Construction) with a Matterport Pro3 Camera | Guest: Hopscotch Interactive CEO & Chief Media Officer Emily Olman (@Hopscotch) | Episode #197B | Thursday, 3 August 2023

[podbean]https://wganforum.podbean.com/e/213-wgan-tv-on-location-scanning-an-8-million-under-construction-listing-with-a-matterport-pro3-camera/[/podbean][b]WGAN Forum Podcast | (How and Why) Scanning an $8 Million Listing (Under Construction) with a Matterport Pro3 Camera | Guest: Hopscotch Interactive CEO & Chief Media Officer Emily Olman (@Hopscotch) | Episode #197B | Thursday, 22 June 2023

WGAN-TV eBook | (How and Why) Scanning an $8 Million Listing (Under Construction) with a Matterport Pro3 Camera | Guest: Hopscotch Interactive CEO & Chief Media Officer Emily Olman (@Hopscotch) | Episode #197B | Thursday, 22 June 2023 ▶ Part 1 of 2 airs 5 pm ET Thursday, 3 August 2023 on WGAN-TV YouTube Channel.

WGAN-TV Training U

WGAN-TV Training U (in Matterport) | (How and Why) Scanning an $8 Million Listing (Under Construction) with a Matterport Pro3 Camera | Guest: Hopscotch Interactive CEO & Chief Media Officer Emily Olman (@Hopscotch) | Episode #197B | Thursday, 22 June 2023

WGAN-TV Pro3 Training: (How and Why) Scanning an $8 Million Listing (Under Construction) with a Matterport Pro3 Camera

Hi All,

[WGAN-TV Pro3 Training (above) ...WGAN-TV Podcast (above) ... Transcript (below) ...]

Greater San Francisco Bay area-Hopscotch Interactive CEO & Chief Media Officer Emily Olman (@Hopscotch) scanned an $8 Million Listing (under construction) with a Matterport Pro3 Camera on Saturday (22 July 2023) in Atlanta while I interviewed Emily on video doing this.

This WGAN-TV on Location show is for you if:

1. You are a real estate photographer thinking about adding a Matterport Pro3 Camera to your tool kit
2. You have a Matterport Pro3 Camera and want to learn best practices from a long-time Matterport Pro
3. You want to know why the Developer wants a Matterport tour before the construction is completed.
4. You want to see an $8 million 13,000 SQ FT listing - with three kitchens - on two acres in Atlanta.

▶ Part 1 of 2 airs 5 pm ET Thursday, 27 July 2023 on WGAN-TV YouTube Channel.
▶ Part 2 of 2 airs 5 pm ET Thursday, 3 August 2023 on WGAN-TV YouTube Channel.

Here is the MLS Listing for: 1890 W Paces Ferry Road NW, Atlanta, GA 30327
(Emily's Matterport tour and DSLR shot images will be added to the listing by 15 August 2023.0)

[During the show, Emily chats with the home's co-owner and co-developer Luke Denny.]

Some of the Questions Emily Answers

Unfinished Mansion

▶ Why create a Matterport tour (and photos) of the $8 million listing BEFORE it is complete?
▶ Why is this helpful to the developer, investors, real estate agent, homebuyer? Other?
▶ How do you approach creating digital assets of a space?
▶ If the renovations were done in CAD by the architect, how might these files be used?
▶ If the renovations were not done in CAD and are only available on paper, how might you use this?
▶ Why do you shoot DSLR images before you shoot Matterport?

In General

▶ What can go wrong?
▶ How did your bring your Matterport Pro3 Camera (and related gear) on your flight to Atlanta?
▶ Other use-cases for the Matterport As-Built of this house?

Tripod Related

▶ When do you use an aluminum tripod and when do you use carbon fiber?
▶ Which tripod are you using (and why)?
▶ Matterport Pro3 Camera height? Bathrooms? Versus Zillow 3D Home?

iPad Related

▶ Which iPad (and why)?
▶ Which iPad case (and why)?
▶ Do you use an Apple Pencil (and why) with your iPad?

Scanning

▶ How far between Matterport scans?'
▶ Do you wait for the scan to finish on your iPad before moving the Matterport Pro3 Camera?
▶ Stairs: how do you position the tripod legs?
▶ Stairs: what is your tip for helping make sure the tripod does not tip over on the stairs?
▶ Stairs: how many stairs do you move between scans (and why)?
▶ Stairs: what else can you tell us about scanning stairs
▶ Inside: do you hide from the camera (or do you rotate behind the camera)?
▶ Outside: how do you hide from the camera (or do you rotate behind the camera)?
▶ Why open doors before you can see the door in the scan?
▶ How long does it take for the Matterport Pro3 Camera to rotate?
▶ Why are you checking the connection between the Matterport Pro3 Camera and tripod during your shoot?
▶ Where do you do your first Matterport scan?
▶ How do you level the Matterport Pro3 Camera?
▶ Differences between Matterport Pro3 Camera scanning versus the Matterport Pro3 Camera?
▶ How (and why) to clean the Matterport Pro3 Camera lens?
▶ Lens fog? How to transition from cold/inside environment to hot/humid outdoors?
▶ How long does it take to scan with a Matterport Pro3 Camera?
▶ Speed of using a Matterport Pro3 Camera versus using a Matterport Pro2 Camera?
▶ Aside from the Pro3 rotating faster, why can it be much faster to scan with a Matterport Pro3 Camera?
▶ What kind of problems/trouble can you have with a Matterport Pro3 Camera?

Lights

▶ This space has lights (and lots of daylight). If not, what would you have done for lighting?

Emily did stills with a Tilt-Shift lens. I included a short segment of her doing this in this show too.

Best,

Dan

WGAN-TV Training U in Matterport Pro3 Camera Course

WGAN-TV Training U in Matterport Pro3 Camera Course

Free Course (via Rebate): WGAN-TV Training U in Matterport Pro3 Camera Course

✅ 12+ Hours from Matterport Pros using a Matterport Pro3 Camera
✅ Scanning Large Spaces and Scanning Outdoor Spaces with Pro3
✅ Pro Tips, Matterport MatterPak and Matterport E57 File for AEC
✅ Matterport Pro3 Camera versus Pro2 Camera and Leica BLK360

www.WGAN.INFO/Pro3course

Receive a $49 course rebate (via PayPal) when you: 1. Buy a Matterport Pro3 Camera using the WGAN Amazon affiliate link (www.WGAN.INFO/Matterport) – within 90 days of purchasing the WGAN-TV Training U in Matterport Pro3 Camera Course – and 2. Email the receipt for this course and Amazon receipt to: DanSmigrod@WeGetAroundNetwork.com

--

Get on the WGAN Map | View WGAN Map | Join WGAN Sponsor

WGAN.INFO/pro3alerts | www.JoinWGAN.com | Text pro3alerts to 877-805-0960 | powered by texting platform: www.SimpleTexting.com

Small ($219.99) | WGAN.INFO/MPPro3WGAN1 (Master D2011-7 Case) (wheels)
Medium ($194.99) | WGAN.INFO/MPPro3WGAN2 (Expert D1913-7 Case) (no wheels)
Large ($264.99) | WGAN.INFO/MPPro3WGAN3 (Maestro D2116-7 Case) (wheels, more storage)

Use this We Get Around Network (WGAN) affiliate link to buy any hard case from WGAN.INFO/MyCaseBuilder and receive - free - 12 Months WGAN-TV Training U in Matterport.

Use this We Get Around Network (WGAN) affiliate link to buy a Matterport Pro3 Camera via Amazon - WGAN.INFO/Amazon-300 - and receive - free - 12 Months WGAN-TV Training U in Matterport.

WGAN-TV Podcast Play List: Pro3 | WGAN Forum Playlist: Pro3

WGAN Forum Discussion: WGAN Cheat Sheet: Cost Worksheet for Matterport Pro3 Camera

Join the WGAN List | Join WGAN Forum

Matterport Pro3 Camera | Matterport Pro3 Camera Acceleration Kit

Hi All,

WGAN Free Resources for Matterport Pro3 Camera:

WGAN Forum | Pro3 Topics
wgan.info/pro3topics

WGAN-TV Podcast | Pro3 Shows
wgan.info/pro3podcasts

WGAN Forum Podcast | Pro3 Shows
wgan.info/pro3audiopodcasts

WGAN Pro3 Cost Worksheet
wgan.info/pro3costworksheet

WGAN Text Alerts | Pro3 News
wgan.info/pro3alerts

WGAN-TV Training U | Pro3 Courses
wgan.info/pro3courses

This WGAN Chatbot has been trained on: www.Matterport.com and Support.Matterport.com
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Text Me 5 Minutes Before WGAN-TV is Live Part 1 of 2 | WGAN-TV | (How and Why) Scanning an $8 Million Listing (Under Construction) with a Matterport Pro3 Camera | Guest: Hopscotch Interactive CEO & Chief Media Officer Emily Olman (@Hopscotch) | Episode #197A | Thursday, 22 June 2023 ▶ Part 1 of 2 airs 5 pm ET Thursday, 27 July 2023 on WGAN-TV YouTube Channel.

Text Me 5 Minutes Before WGAN-TV is Live Part 2 of 2 | WGAN-TV | (How and Why) Scanning an $8 Million Listing (Under Construction) with a Matterport Pro3 Camera | Guest: Hopscotch Interactive CEO & Chief Media Officer Emily Olman (@Hopscotch) | Episode #197B | Thursday, 22 June 2023 ▶ Part 1 of 2 airs 5 pm ET Thursday, 3 August 2023 on WGAN-TV YouTube Channel.

Transcript (videos above)

Video 1

- Hi all, I'm Dan Smigrod, founder of the We Get Around Network Forum.

Today is July 22, 2023, and you're watching WGAN-TV on Location. And our subject matter expert today, Hopscotch Interactive CEO & Chief Media Officer Emily Olman. Emily, thanks for being on the show today.

- Thanks Dan, I'm so excited to be here. We are at 1890 West Paces Ferry Road in Atlanta, Georgia. This is a very, very luxury property that we are scanning and shooting today.

And Dan, thank you for having me to show you sort of the way I approach the property, and some of the thoughts that go into creating media for a property that is under construction.

- So this is an $8 million listing in Atlanta, 2 acres surrounded by woods, though in the middle of Atlanta.

Just one question because I know we'll get into this while we're doing Matterport Pro3 scanning of this house.

- Yes.

- Three levels, ginormous outside. Just to tease it, it's got three kitchens.

- 13,000 square feet, seven bedrooms, plus a cabana, and nine bathrooms.

- Why would a developer want to scan the house in the middle of construction rather than waiting until it's totally done, and pristine, and beautifully staged?

- Well, Dan, they're going to have to watch the video to get all the answers to those questions.

So stick around, we're going to have a bunch of answers to that and many other questions throughout the video, and thank you so much for watching.

Don't forget to like and subscribe, if you enjoy this video, and thanks so much.

- Stay tuned.

Video 2

- [Emily] Hi, Dan.

- [Dan] Hi, Emily.

- Hi.

- [Dan] Welcome to your $8 million listing to shoot today.====

Video 2A

- [Dan] Hi all. I'm Dan Smigrod, Founder of the We Get Around Network Forum. Today is Saturday, July 22, 2023, and you're watching WGAN TV on Location.

We have an awesome show for you today. We're going to walk through an $8 million house in Atlanta, Georgia with Hopscotch Interactive CEO and Chief Media Officer Emily Olman.

Hey, Emily. Good to see you. What are you doing? Tell us a little bit more about where we are and what you're going to do today.

- Thanks, Dan. I'm actually, it's amazing. I am, I'm standing here on West Paces Ferry Road in Atlanta, Georgia with you, and so we are live and on site, and it turns out that my work has brought me to Atlanta this weekend, and that there is a 13,000 square foot, $8 million under construction home that I have been in discussions with the developer about.

And so we decided that we would come in, and basically do some consulting on this property, and look at what we could tackle it with in terms of media to see what can you do if you apply critical thinking about the state of the property, who your potential buyer is going to be, what state of completion are they interested in purchasing the home in?

Does it need to be finished? Or can we use media to tell the story?

And so that's why I'm here, and I'm going to be using a few different kinds of documentation in the property, photography. This is a tilt shift lens.

I'm going to start with photography because we've got some really nice light right now. And then I'm going to switch to Matterport, and we're gonna use Matterport Pro3 Camera to create a virtual tour from which we can do many, many things.

Video 3

- So I'm first going to start with the architectural photography, because I feel like this is really the way to work my way into thinking about the home.

When you're doing Matterport, sometimes you're kind of locked into what you shoot with the Matterport, but if you start with your photos, then you might be looking through the lens, and you might be really concentrating on a space.

And so starting with the DSLR means that if something is wrong, but I didn't notice it, I'm not so stuck with it. I can retake that photo and it's not showing everything.

If I start with Matterport, then no matter what, if I wanted to move a couple of paint buckets, but I had already started moving through the space, but uh-oh, I didn't see them until it was too late, or lights were off, then I'm just, I'm sort of missing the opportunity to get it right the first time.

So that's why I like starting with stills. It really helps me sort of ease into the scene and composition.

Yeah, so let's go, let's take a look. So let's see here, already just approaching this with the lighting here, my curiosity has me wondering if the lights on the second floor are turned on.

So I'm going to just run over here, Dan, and see if we can get these lights up on the second floor, in this area to be working. They might not be on, it looks like. The lighting is maybe not totally done up here, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, the electric switches are not complete. So there are parts of the property that don't have completed electrical, and so if the electrical is not complete, it's okay.

There's enough ambient light in here, and I have some flash, so I think we'll be okay.

But that was my question. That's again like why I'm coming through with the camera first, the DSLR, is to tackle it from a composition standpoint. So all right, let's go back downstairs, and I can get started.

When you're looking at it for architectural photography, I'm looking at the lines, I'm looking at the light, I'm looking at if I'm going to shoot a vertical or a horizontal, or what kind of a composition is going to be the most compelling to someone, and then also imagining that -- that image can be kind of composited into a render, and so a partial render, or even maybe a full render, but that we can see the natural daylight of the space.

So that's why if you look here right now, there's so much gorgeous light coming through. Now, the windows are covered, which is not great, but it doesn't mean that I won't have a really nice space here that I can showcase.

So I'm going to just get started taking a few photos. All right. And the first one I want to take is of the foyer, because I think again, like, when I'm looking at this space, this front door is not finished, but the thing that I'm seeing is that we have the beautiful woods right out here, and so I want to show, I want to show what this house looks like, and like, what its best features are.

So here, we'll get started on this. Let's see, and I'm shooting on, this one is just a 6D Mark II, because I knew that it wouldn't let me down in terms of the connection with my tilt-shift lenses.

Some of the tilt-shift lenses have been giving errors on the R series mounts, and so this is going to just be perfect for us doing the tilt-shift photography, and it's the right adaption, or the right mount, so I'll get started here.

Cool. Yeah, this is going to be really nice. Like, all of this is going to just show exactly the things that will make this property special for someone who wants the grandeur. Like, that staircase over there is just epic.

Now, I see that my car is in the way, but that's okay. I'm not going to worry about that so much right at this moment. And then this is deserving of a vertical. Have you ever done tilt-shift photography, Dan?

- [Dan] I haven't.

- No? Well, I highly recommend it for anyone working in real estate. It is my favorite because it just gives us so much control over the, it just gives us so much control over the composition, especially with high ceilings, especially with vertical lines, and if you're using the wide angle lens on a home this size, the distortion is overwhelming.

So you don't want it to look too distorted. You still want to have a nice wide shot to show that there's a lot of space, but the best thing you can do is approach it from the perspective of, hey, have the finished shot in mind before you start taking the picture in the first place. So that's why we did our walkthrough.

That's why we walked around, and we got a feel for the place, and I was already thinking of here's a shot I want to take, here's a shot, here's a shot that I want to take. So, yeah, so that's good.

Yeah, I love this. Yeah, these are great. Maybe one more here. We kind of got it. Okay, let me work on the staircase.

This is probably a better way to do it. I think that this shot is really iconic for this home, because the thing that's happening here is that we've got the trees, we've got the land, and who doesn't love a spiral staircase?

It just says grandeur and elegance and wealth, and anybody who wants to buy this home is looking for making that kind of an impression for somebody like you've made it.

Okay, so let me back it up. Let's see, this is our foyer shot, our entrance shot, so this is again a very critical shot here, and the only thing I want to do is make sure that I'm totally in focus.

And again I'm shooting natural light here, but this is a space where probably, we could use a little flash or I could come back.

So I might come back and do that next. I'll do this again, but let's come out here and do this shot. Yeah, the little patch of blue sky there is so lovely.

I'm going to hide this paint can around the corner. Sorry about that, I had to tidy up, not like it matters that much, but it matters enough. Do you have any questions, Dan, about the process?

- [Dan] I don't.

- Now, did you do photography when you had your services business too, or was it just 360s? I feel like you were doing-

- [Dan] Matterport.

- You were doing Matterport, right? Did you never offer photography as well?

- [Dan] No.

- Why was that?

- We just focused on doing Matterport, and agents used other companies to do photos and video.

- Yeah.

- [Dan] That worked fine.

- That's good. Okay, I'm going to actually, since the light is, see, the light went away on that little space there, and I wonder, yeah, it didn't quite show up in that last shot.

It was already a little bit going away, so let me just wait a second and see if the cloud moves.

- [Dan] Okay. I can't say today that you could do that. This goes back to 2014 when I bought the Matterport Pro1 Camera in July of 2014.

So there really, in Atlanta, there weren't really any other photographers doing Matterport.

- Right.

- [Dan] So today though, if you were starting a business, you couldn't just do Matterport. A real estate agent has too many choices from too many photographers that offer photos, video, Matterport, drone.

- Right, exactly.

- [Dan] Floor plans, et cetera.

- Here we go. Did you see that? So that was a moment where, what did it take just a minute for us to kind of revisit this space with all of the light? And so that was a very good choice for us to try and get this right and not to rush it.

- [Dan] Glad I could help you with the light there. ;-)

- Thank you so much, Dan. You're awesome. I feel like you're the one.

Many times, you're just here for however long you're here, but you don't have the luxury of having the ability to time it so well, so that can be stressful when you want to go fast, but you can't, because you have to wait for things to actually hit and be proper.

Now, every room has this good side, kind of like us. We have our good side. Make sure you shoot me from my good side.

- [Dan] All good sides, all good sides.

- But because of that, it's really important that we give the room a really thorough look to make sure that we're getting everything we need to be able to show it in its best light.

This is actually, again we were talking about the staircase being iconic for this property, this is also iconic for this property, this space here. And there's almost like a facade on the front of that part of that wing of the house.

So I don't really know what's happening there, but I can tell you that this light is very interesting, and it looks awesome.

So I'm not necessarily looking for -- I'm not necessarily looking for the shots to be -- here's the bedroom, here's the living room. I'm really just looking for what are the most beautiful things that if I were the- wait, I'll do it this way.

- [Dan] But what's hard to appreciate is we are in a living room.

- Yes.

- [Dan] With almost two levels of windows opening up to a swimming pool, still to be built.

- That's right.

- [Dan] And we are really in the city of Atlanta, and yet this house is an escape from the city in that, from the backyard, all you see is green or the water where they come into waterfalls.

- Yeah, it's nuts.

- [Dan] So the whole back of the house opens up to the backyard, to the pool, to the waterfalls, and we can't really appreciate it with the protective plastic on the windows.

- We can't, but we can look for shots -- I don't know if you can see this, Dan, but the reason a shot like this matters is because, can you?

- [Dan] Yeah, I don't think we can see that.

- [Emily] Can't see it as well? Here. Well, we'll see it when we process it.

- [Dan] Yeah, yeah, the light's beautiful.

- The light is beautiful. The light is stunning. And so even though we have somewhat of an obscured view with this here, you can already start to imagine like, it's going to be spectacular. It's just going to be spectacular.

So also from this direction, unfortunately, I won't shoot it that way because it'll be covered up, but we can shoot it this way.

And I have definitely got a thing for this, in this home, I think using the 17 millimeter, I'm just blocking the light here, I'll wait for that car.

But using the 17 millimeter tilt-shift will help me show just how big these rooms are and how special they are. So yeah, that's really good. We're going to have to shoot a little bit outside also. We'll get there in a second. I think the main rooms to show off are going to be here. So, hi.

- [Luke] Hello.

- This is Luke Denny. Hi, Luke.

- [Luke] Hello, how are you guys?

- We're good. We're just talking about some of the thoughts as we walked through the property, and this is your house?

- It is. We bought it in 2021, and thought it was 9,000 square feet. It ended up being 13,000 square feet, so a little bigger than we, of course, expected, but some amazing existing pool and outdoor structures that just made it really attractive to look at it from an investment standpoint.

- So you guys, you bought the property in [2021] you said?

- Oh 2021, and you thought it was 9,000 square feet. Where were the other square feet hiding?

- It was just the game with tax records and how it was. It was here the whole time. No one measured it properly, right?

- Oh my gosh.

- And so we didn't add any square footage. We adjusted the layout of the structures, but the square footage we added was nominal, and just realigned the front door entrance, and then opened up the glass to be two stories in the main living room.

- Nice, nice.

- The rest of the rooms were the size that they are, right? Which is huge.

- They're all very large rooms, but we have seven bedrooms.

- Yep.

- And we have nine bathrooms, is that correct?

- Yeah, there's another one in the cabana, and three laundry rooms.

- There's three laundry rooms?

- Yep.

- Where are the laundry rooms?

- There's one off the kitchen here, there's one.

- Okay.

- And then there's one upstairs above here for the main bedrooms, and then there's one in the cabana for the pool and the towels associated with that.

- Right, so then you just leave the towels at the pool. You don't need to bring 'em back into the house. That's like a hotel. This is really like a hotel, right?

- It is, right, and so even the size of it you have, you have a double sized swimming pool, a koi pond and a beach volleyball court all in your backyard, so.

- We haven't even gotten to the beach volleyball court yet. I'm so excited, and there's multiple kitchens, right? So there's this kitchen, there's a kitchen on the other side of the wall.

- The other side of the wall is called a scullery.

- Okay, the scullery or butler's pantry?

- Yeah, the butler's pantry, and so they've become very important in high end homes in the South, because you have, if you're at a party, you either a party or entertaining, you can be out here and then you can have, your help and support doing that, or during the day, you don't have to mess up the main kitchen here, right? You can use the scullery.

- For if you're microwaving some popcorn.

- Yeah.

- Yeah, got it, got it. It's pretty impressive.

Okay, so we talked about high-end homes being a thing here in this area a little bit. Talk to me about the ideal -- the ideal resident for this property, is it a family? Is it another wealthy investor?

- Right.

- Or what do you think is going to be the best?

- I think this area is known for its schools.

- Okay.

- So that's one of the components that the good private schools are within striking distance of here, so that's a lot of the draw in this market and area.

You don't feel like you're in the city, but you're right there and easy to get to Buckhead, which is a financial center.

And so our belief is that someone that has kids, and a wealthy couple that has three or four kids that needs a place is one solution.

Someone else I was looking at was multi-generational.

- Oh.

- And so they had three generations, and so they're looking at it as, okay, the grandparents could have the main floor, the bottom floor, and have that space.

The main living space would be for everyone. And then there's a junior suite upstairs that could be used as an in-law suite as well.

- Wow.

- That's been the approach. It's so big, could you really have three different generations living here, and I think that could work as well.

- Like, almost as if they had their own home. I mean, Dan and I, when we went downstairs, that was kind of the thing. He was like, "This is a whole new house."

- It is, right? A New York resident and look at that and be like, this is the largest studio apartment ever. It's got everything you need there, right?

- Totally, it's incredible. And we'll take a look outside in just a minute, but tell me what has got you thinking about using Matterport and photography at this stage, since we're still under construction?

I know that you are a forward thinking, technology friendly tech, very forward thinking entrepreneur, so tell me what you thought when you knew that I was going to be here and I could bring the gear.

What do you think that we'll be able to do that you haven't been able to do so far?

- It's really showing that vision of what the end product is while it's in progress, right? And so not everyone can read a set of drawings, and not everyone can understand the three dimensional space of that.

And so finding a way to use technology to kind of piece that vision together is as someone who does this for a living, we're looking at this and how do we get better at that, and showing people what it's going to be.

It's great to be able to sell it once it's fully staged and once it's fully operating, but as a developer, you'd like to also be able to show people that along the way and take 'em on the journey.

- Absolutely, yeah, and we can also show it to your investors, right?

- Investors, yeah, but even the workers, right?

Even the people that are involved in this, it helps them see it, right?

So, we have some just sketches on the walls so they see what the end product is, and they get bought into it as well, and so there's a big -- and my personal belief too is that that tech, when we built this, that disconnect between size, it wasn't just that, it was the as-built condition for a lot of the challenges, so even building 3D models, you see the cabinet makers, they all did it, right?

- [Emily] Right.

- Every one of these is in Revit, but there's no way to put it there to show it in process and in progress.

- Exactly. So we have the potential for using visualization, so 3D visualizations. We have the potential for using augmented reality to overlay imagery into a scene or into the space itself.

We're going to have the data, the spatial data for this location, and we're also going to have all the visual data for this location, which we can use to create new renders or new media.

And we're also documenting a moment in time of today's date, and here's what it looks like today, and at our next check-in, what's it going to look like? Because we're not moving walls anymore.

- Nope.

- We're just finishing, we're finishing up, we're finishing up.

- But I think it's also interesting that Atlanta has become more of a draw from the US coming, and even globally coming.

So there is an audience that I'm not, I'm a believer that our local real estate team isn't focused on, but these houses are selling to world renowned people, not just locals anymore, right? And so that media is important to getting them to see it as well, right?

- I agree with you. I think that Atlanta is an up and coming market that has so much to offer. I'm so impressed by being here, and I could see why the draw is huge.

It's green, it's spacious, there's good schools, there's great culture, there's good food, there's all of these things going for it, and it's easy to travel to other places, east coast- The airport is-

- Airport.

- Yeah, it makes it easy to do a lot of things. And so that buyer, that prospective person, as well as, our business partner, Mark, is a home builder, and does these custom homes at this size, right?

And so just being able to show people and help them through that process of here's the process that it takes, with it being our own, we can do that a little more freely than if it was some individual that is a custom home that we're wanting to show them.

- [Dan] Luke, can you talk about the backyard and the floor-to-ceiling windows?

- Yeah, so the landscaping was one of the elements that was here. It was, I call it a double size lagoon pool.

- It is a lagoon, yeah.

- With a swim up bar and Jacuzzi, and also with a koi pond, and so those elements, the structure was there and just repurposing them and getting them to be not like back to the future, but more like 2023.

You see the pictures from before, this house was very well designed for a period of time, which was in the past.

And so the backyard to me, the belief was that was a selling point, the bones are here. It's a matter of how we get it to be able to fit into the setting.

And there's, I think, one of the strange things, the neighborhood is this little caveat that you can actually bow hunt in your backyard in the city of Atlanta if you're really wanting to, and there's deer walking around, and so it-

- Wait, you can bow hunt deer in your backyard here legally?

- Legally in a little section up here, that is possible, right?

- Hunter's paradise.

- Right.

- Fresh venison.

- I wouldn't suggest it necessarily, but you're in the city limits.

- Yeah.

- You completely feel like you're in the country. My kids are like, "This isn't Atlanta, Dad. This is the countryside."

- It is, it really is, and that makes it very much in a state that is unparalleled in other places in the country, because you have all of the things that you've just mentioned, but then you also have this country feeling, but very close to the city center.

So I can't wait to do the media for you. I'm excited to be here, and I mean, the thing that I want to do is to help Luke sell this house.

- Right.

- You know, we want to help Luke, the developers, the broker, the team, make their investment, basically shorten that sales cycle for them, and so that's what we're doing right now is we're going to try and help 'em with the media, and I'm excited to get started.

- [Dan] Would part of your hope be that you might be able to get more offers; sooner for the most money; even before you've put another $500,000 into the house, and maybe sell it?

- Yeah, I mean, the real world, there's the cost of the project, so finding the right buyer, and if they wanted to modify or do some changes too, they could do that, right?

And so that's the win-win of trying to get it done, and find a buyer that they can put their personal taste in. I'm convinced that whoever buys it is going to want to do a few other things too, right?

Someone buys a house of this magnitude, says, "Here's what I like, add this or that," and so that's the belief of showing the vision so that someone can be involved earlier in that process.

- [Dan] You mentioned some of the technology. As we walked around, we saw a lot of books on floor plans. Are those all printouts from Revit models? Is the entire plan originally designed in CAD?

- It's in CAD. We had some learning curves of our architecture team didn't put them into Revit, and they used some different backgrounding, which was really a struggle in getting some of the -- we used BoxBrownie.com to do some, I guess virtual imagery, and that process was more cumbersome than it should have been, so we had some lessons learned on next project we do, let's start with a baseline where we are going to do that, right?

- [Dan] So that you could simply output construction drawings as well as to have the 3D models to help, a company like Hopscotch Interactive.

- This is, in the commercial world my background is that's readily done, right? And so the sophistication when you get to residential is a little different, right?

And so it's bringing those technologies that you see in commercial to residential, there's a gap, right? There's two different spectrums of how you use this information.

In Atlanta, I've yet to see a property that has a true virtual marketing plan, right?

Even if it's an existing home that's fully furnished, there's very little excitement about technology, so there's a real opportunity I think to use this across the board.

- Yeah, absolutely. It's an opportunity to bring the new technology here, and it's also an opportunity for you, I think, to differentiate this property vis-à-vis others. And so yeah, Dan, I mean, hopefully, it will help them save money.

It will help them with visualizations, and I am imagining that this as a case study for future developments that you might do would then also you could learn from that.

- Yeah.

- So that the next time that they do another project, they're going to have learned even more from this one that they can apply in the next one.

- [Dan] Well Luke, you mentioned that it would be great to have a potential buyer even before the house is finished so that they would have an opportunity to customize it perhaps for their needs.

I could imagine that if you have it in a CAD format or much of the house in the CAD format, that would just make it that much easier for a buyer to do the modifications faster, easier.

- Yeah, and so even behind you, this wall here is purposely built so if someone wanted to open these two rooms up, it's built in a manner that it can be removed, and these two rooms could be adjacent.

We chose to build it in a manner that separated it so you could have a wall for artwork and for TVs in this area. Some folks want it differently. Upstairs in the top of the landing, there was a debate at how someone would use that space in the-

- When you come upstairs and then to the right.

- Yeah, there's a landing, there's a large area, and what they did, there's a plan that we have to enclose if you wanted a second full office, right?

If it was two CEOs that bought this house and they need both two places to work that are enclosed, or if you were using that as a sitting area for the junior suite, so there's some flexibility that we'd have to make decisions on, but the next, whoever does buy it might say, "This is who I am, can we adjust it for this?"

- Awesome, so awesome, and remind us of the address so people know exactly where they are if they want to look up the property on MLS, it would be.

- 1890 West Paces Ferry Road, NW, Atlanta, GA 30327

- 1890 West Paces Ferry Road, NW, Atlanta, GA 30327 So 1890 West Paces Ferry Road is already something that they can view online, but if they go to, I would say within the next couple of weeks, we'll be getting more media up that will be showcasing everything we've done today, so I'm really excited about that, and yeah, let's take a look at some of these other parts of the house.

- Nice, I'd love to show you.

- Yeah, can't wait to see it.

Video 4

- So we finished up our photo shoots, and now we're moving on to Matterport. I'm really glad that we did that because we saw some things that we wanted to change.

So that by the time we were doing Matterport, we were able to come at it and tackle it exactly the way we wanted to.

One of the wishes for this property is to have us be able to scan indoors and outdoors. So I'm going to actually start by opening up one of the doors here, which is going to be the main one we use to get outside.

So I'm just going to prop this door open even though we have air conditioning. How do you feel about that, Luke?

Maybe we should prop it open later. I just realized, in Atlanta we can't do that. Normally I would just leave the door open.

But okay, Dan, note to self, when we get to this room, then we open the door. Okay. Jeez. All right. Do over!

So normally I like to start on the ground floor, but since I know that this is the most advantageous light for us to start it, I'm just going to start the scan here in this foyer because I think it'll be easier for you to see me and for the shots to go well.

So I'm just doing a little quick level by eye. I'm not using a level on this. I find that with this Matterport Pro3 Camera, maybe you have to add a level here beneath this mount or have it attached to your tripod to have an easier way to level it.

But I find that this seems to lose its level for me a little bit more than the Matterport Pro2 Camera just because of the way that the camera, like it is and the way that it's shaped.

So now I'm just going to hide. We're going to do our Matterport thing we do, which is run away from, run away from the camera. So, many people have asked me over the years what I like to use.

This is a sub five, Amazon purchase, sub five, and I use it for carrying around my iPad. This is an iPad Pro 2020 with LiDAR. It was like the first one that came out with LiDAR. So I bought that and it's been doing great.

And since Matterport changed its file management, that has been amazing because I've been able to offload a ton of stuff from this and have it free up space on my iPad. I was really glad that they did that.

That was one of my huge pain points for a long time. So we're just looking to make sure that our Wi-Fi is connected to the Matterport. Here we go. We're good.

Connectivity, not so much of an issue in a property like this, because we're inside. Maybe once we start going outside, we'll have some more connectivity issues.

But I think for now it'll be fine.

And what can I tell you? I'm using the Matterport Pro3 Camera.

And the reason I'm using the Pro3 again, it's going to look the best and it's going to be able to let me scan the high ceilings, go more quickly, and be able to go indoors and outdoors.

I'm doing the highest-end luxury property in Atlanta. I'm not going to use the mid-tier or a low-tier Matterport for that. So that's my take on it.

And then that first scan is already done. Okay, so we're just going to position it. My goal with this scan is not to be so attention to detail-oriented on the dollhouse, Dan.

Because the dollhouse is important, but what is more important is your overall -- just impression of the completeness of the state, of the as-built conditions and a sense of the space.

- [Dan] I feel like I'm at a dental hygienist's office and she's taking my X-ray and stepping away from me.

- It kind of is like that, isn't it? Okay, so this is a very important shot here, where, again, we don't have all the lights on, but we have enough lighting. I'm centered here in the entry space. Let's maybe go hide over here.

I can always fill in the spaces like -- I kind of can see that it cuts off that corner there, because it still is only scanning in a single direction. And then it's not able to see on the other side of the wall. But that's okay. That doesn't really matter.

- [Dan] Do you ever rotate behind the Matterport Pro3 Camera? Too fast for you?

- Outside. But it's too fast. I don't do it. I could do it. And if I did it, it would probably not save me that much time, to be honest, because I feel what happens is that then if you have to redo a scan, the time that it takes for you to redo that scan, the time it takes for you to redo that scan, it's not worth it, right? Because then you have to delete it.

You have to start it over. And that's where you get the lag. And I feel like it also starts to mess up the integrity of the mini-map. And so when the mini-map has overlapping imagery, I find it's just less clean to work on.

These are bigger jumps than I would normally do. You can see that the footprint of the Matterport Pro3 Camera is more of like a rounded square than something like a circle. And also, the dots are -- they're square instead of circle.

So that's how I think you differentiate your Matterport Pro3 Camera scan that way. So let's just go here. I take that back.

We're going to take it right here. The reason we're going to take it here is because this is really a key shot. I could jump right in front of the fireplace and be in the center of the room.

But from a navigation standpoint and your impression of this space, you naturally go from here to the other side of the wall. It's just where you're going to stop. So that's why I'm going to do that.

- [Dan] So you have an iPad case that lets you hold it with your hand or hold it with the strap. And is there a preference of when you use it to carry it around your shoulder versus using the strap?

- Yeah, maybe.

- [Dan] Or are you able to move the camera fine, just holding it with one hand and picking the camera, the tripod and the camera up with the other hand?

- Well, you bring up an excellent point, Dan? And the excellent point is that if we were in a commercial office space where I had to open doors and I was using both hands, then I would really prefer the strap.

But if I can move around this space by just using the camera, like moving it like this, then I don't need the strap right now. So it's fine just like the way that it is.

What else do you think? I also have the Apple Pencil. I'll tell you why I love the Apple Pencil here.

So the Apple Pencil improves things when you're going to be in between scans marking your windows. So I want to add that window. It's just so much more precise to add that window marking using the pencil.

So this was a big improvement, and I don't know why it took me so long to get one. They're only $99.

And when I got that, it was much more enjoyable to put these in. You can use it to navigate. You don't have to use your fingers, and it just works better.

Okay, so we will go here. So I like to keep right angles when I'm scanning.

And so that means when I get to a crossroads or a spot where I can go two directions, I'm going to place the scan. Instead of just jumping right into here, I'm going to put it here so that there's line of sight between these two points as well.

So I'm sort of thinking ahead to where I'm going to place my camera next, maybe two or three moves down the road as part of my thought process on this. What do you think?

- [Dan] Are you listening for the camera to finish rotating, or are you looking at your iPad when it finishes rendering?

- I'm just listening. I'm just listening. I don't look at the render. I don't look at the render because the render matters less. I mean, it'll process in the background whether or not I'm waiting for it.

That said, if you're fatigued and you're waiting a long time or you're doing a lot of scans, not that you're waiting, but that you're doing a lot of scans and you get tired, then sometimes you just want to stare at that rather than listen or it's harder to listen.

So yeah, I would say pay attention to the sound more than this. Because once it's gone around, you'll know if it didn't work. It'll pop something up when you go to look at it the next time. So, I think it's not that big of a deal.

What do you think -- I mean, having done a lot of scans and talked to a lot of people, do you find that there are other approaches to it?

- [Dan] I would say some of the questions are the camera height, in this space, the ceilings are so tall, I'm not sure it matters at what height you put the camera.

But did you consciously, or does your tripod automatically go to a certain height that you like to scan with?

- I just sort of set it at a height that I'm comfortable with. One thing that is interesting between the Matterport versus like a Zillow 3D Home tour, and this is very great about Matterport and why I like it as a scanning device as opposed to Zillow for making floor plans, and here's a really important reason I think to point out, is that if you're using it for, if you're using a Zillow 3D Home tour and a Ricoh Theta Z1, the device has no spatial data innately, right? It's just a 360.

And so if you have it connected to an iGUIDE the iGUIDE will get that data and will get the map data, and it won't matter if you change the height.

Because the LiDAR sort of mostly functions independently from that even though it's still two dimensional. But with Matterport, since it's scanning three-dimensional areas-

- [Dan] I don't want to slow you up because you probably have heard the scan stop.

- Yeah. Don't worry about that. I mean, but I hear you.

- [Dan] In fact, when you press the button and then when you hear it stop, why don't you let us know?

- Oh, okay. Thanks, Dan. So the thing I was trying to kind of illustrate for you guys though is that the Matterport is scanning 3D.

So, if you need to go back and you need to continue a scan that you stopped or started, this is to your point about the tripod height. Oh gosh don't fall in there! He almost fell in there, but he's okay.

- [Dan] Thank you.

- But sorry, Dan. Ooh! Yikes! But the monopod height or the tripod height that you're running your Ricoh Theta Z1 on can't change because it's based, a calibration is based on your first scan with the marker, and then you cannot change the height because it's computing that floor plan based on them all being consistent.

So if you change it and you go back, then you really do have to either mark on your monopod or remember your exact height. Matterport, it's a non-issue. You can adjust the height everywhere you go so you don't have to worry about it.

And I find that that is very comforting, especially in a property like this that is absolutely ginormous.

- [Dan] Tell us when you're pressing the button.

- Okay. And I'm pressing the button. Don't back up into -- oh, please don't back up into anything.

But yes, one of the things that I like about the Matterport system, is that the scanning for the floor plan will be the same no matter whether or not you're at two feet or 16 feet.

- [Dan] I can't imagine in this space you're going to change the height of the camera. Is there a time that you do change the height of the Matterport Pro3 Camera?

- Yes, you do. You adjust it all the time when you're on stairs. So I don't know if this will work.

Let's try it. So when you're adjusting it going up and down stairs like in this home, I'm going to have some spiral stairs to go up and down, and that's going to make things a little bit trickier for me. And so I will be making some adjustments.

But it won't matter for the integrity of the 3D model or the floor plans. Yeah. So that's good.

- [Dan] When else might you change the height? You mentioned the staircase.

- Staircases.

- [Dan] Anytime in bathrooms? You're trying to keep the camera out of the bathroom mirror and lowering it below [the vanity].

- Some people do that. Some people do that. I don't do that. I feel like -- I know that that would probably be a very professional way of doing it, but I just haven't -- I've never really needed to do that.

Although, yeah, that would be exactly when you would do it.

- [Dan] You're okay with the cameras in the mirror and your clients are okay. And it's like, people go, "Oh, well that's the camera that they used to create this. Okay, that's cool."

- We're totally cool. We're totally cool. Let me just close that door and I'm going to hit the button. I feel like this is like Vogue's 72 questions meets Matterport scanning.

I don't know if you know the 72 questions with Vogue, but they sort of walk around with somebody and then ask them a bunch of questions. But they're like getting ready for dinner or something.

- [Dan] I know you think this is WGAN-TV on Location -- on WGAN-TV on Location, but this is actually Vogue.

- Vogue. It's actually a Vogue shoot. ;-)

- [Dan] It's actually a Vogue shoot. ;-) I just feel like you should be bringing more glamor to this work.

So I think I'm going to skip going that way. But you can see from there how nice it is. So we'll just try, I'm trying to do the minimum number of scans and still get good coverage.

- Okay. Luke, we found the bathtub, right?

- You filled that with water? Did you just do that?

- No, it was full.

- It was full of water? Got to test if it leaks. Right?

- You have to test it to see if it leaks, right? So I don't know why we did it without anyone being here.

- Whoa, I'm glad that no toddlers just discovered this house.

- [Dan] You can see behind .

- All right, so one more here. This is our primary extraordinary bedroom, right? The bathroom. Are you in the shot?

- [Luke] No, I'm not.

- Okay, fire in the hole.

- [Luke] Yeah, this is the master.

- So we're 15 scans in and everything's going great. We've already probably covered at least 15,00, 2,000 square feet.

- [Dan] That's awesome.

- So my estimates using the Pro3 in a commercial space are that I can scan about 5,000 square feet in an hour. So this home's 13,000 to 15,000 SQ FT + the exterior spaces.

I would estimate that it would take me 3 to 4 hours to scan this house because everything's spacious.

- [Dan] Well, the interior is 13,000 square feet.

- Yeah.

- Yes. So that's a lot of feet to cover.

- [Emily] That's a lot of feet to cover.

- [Dan] Is it easier to scan without the furniture?

- A million times easier? How did you know?

Yeah, it's a million times easier. It's a million times easier because if you're scanning with furniture in here, it's more. It's like a sofa sometimes equals a door, you know what I mean?

- Yes.

- Yeah. Okay. Let's see how we're doing.

- [Dan] Is this a kitchen?

- This is a primary closet. This is a walk-in closet.

- [Dan] Closet, I was wondering whether this was a second or a third kitchen in the house. ;-)

- There are three kitchens I think.

- [Dan] I was wondering if that was a kitchen and that was the area for the range.

- Okay. I'm going to shoot that.

- [Dan] That was a closet. Okay.

- That was a closet. What do you think [www.WeGetAroundNetwork.com] audience is trying to learn about the Matterport Pro3 Camera?

- [Dan] I would say, "What's it like to scan with a Pro3?"

- [Emily] really?

- [Dan] Yeah, because the only time that someone actually gets to experience real-time scanning is perhaps by watching WGAN-TV where we follow a Matterport Service Provider who's doing scanning, and we typically will show that in real-time, so that someone who's trying to make a purchase decision has some sense of, well, "what's it like to scan?"

- Exactly.

- [Dan] Because when you look at a marketing video that's 30 seconds or a minute or 90 seconds, and you simply can't tell "well, what's it like in real time?"

"And what kind of problems did you encounter?"

"And how far are you moving the camera?"

"And what is the tripod height?"

"And what does your iPad set up look like?"

"Do you have just the iPad?"

"Do you have a case around the iPad?"

"Or are you using an iPad pencil?"

"Are you using an iPad that has a heavy-duty case that also has a shoulder strap that gives you an option to hold it by hand maybe?"

"Can you put the iPad tablet down?"

- Yeah, you have to be able to change gears at any time. That's why I like using the case. I've always used cases.

I feel I'm literally nervous if I don't use a case and I'm on a shoot. I can't tell you how many times that the case has been helpful.

But at the same time, just making sure there's nothing behind you, but making sure that you -- the only other thing that I would usually take to a shoot for a Matterport for most use cases is a dolly. A tripod dolly.

- [Dan] Could you have used a dolly here? Maybe?

- Yeah. I totally could have. But it would still have been annoying. Yeah, it would not necessarily have sort of made it faster.

- [Dan] Well, perhaps because the Matterport Pro3 Camera is much lighter than the Matterport Pro2 Camera, is your sense that it's just easier to pick this up and move it, tripod and camera all in one shot, versus perhaps-

- The camera is a negligible difference. What makes a bigger difference is if you have an aluminum versus a carbon fiber tripod.

- [Dan] Ah, and what are you shooting there?

- Watch your step again. Watch your step again.

- Thank you.

- This is a carbon one. I could have brought the aluminum one.

- [Dan] Incidentally, Emily just saved my life there. So thank you, Emily. Appreciate it.

- No problem, Dan.

- [Dan] What would you call those? The air conditioning vents in the floor haven't been covered yet, so I have to actually keep an eye out.

- Because he's walking backwards while we're filming.

- [Dan] And Emily's keeping an eye out for this sort of thing.

- I have to remember to do that now. But no, exactly.

- [Dan] All right, so which tripod are you using? I see the Manfrotto.

- Maybe I could have borrowed those, and I could just stick my tripod lights on those.

- [Dan] So are you using a carbon fiber?

- This is a carbon fiber one. Actually, I think the person that recommended this to me a couple years ago might have been Chris Petracco.

- [Dan] And this is lighter.

- Yeah, it's lighter. I actually like the weight of a heavier tripod to be honest, much more. But I didn't want to bring that in my suitcase. It did fold up a little bit more tightly. But it felt like flying, so I flew here with all my gear. And so flying here-

- [Dan] You're from the Greater San Francisco Bay area, and we're in Atlanta today.

- Yeah, so San Francisco, I flew in yesterday. And I didn't want to have, I wanted to keep my bags as light as possible so I didn't bring everything. But I brought this because this is how it lives.

And then the Pro3 camera. And then the camera fit in my backpack and the tripod fit in my suitcase.

- [Dan] So you didn't need to do any checked luggage? It didn't give you any angst in that regard?

- I checked one bag, but there was no angst. No angst at all.

- [Dan] And over time, scanning with different tripods, When you were initially buying tripods, were you going through them and like, "Oh, I just broke one. Oh I just broke one."

And then had to decide, "Oh, maybe it's worth investing in a little bit better tripod with..." No, you just said, "I don't mind replacing them.

- I didn't mind replacing them every couple of years. And I've also sent in a bunch of them to Manfrotto to be refurbished. So last year I sent probably four tripods to Manfrotto so that I would have them sort of fixed up.

And that was nice. Because then the tripods were refreshed. And yeah, glad that I did that. It saved me from needing to buy a new one.

- [Dan] So That's kind of a personal preference to say whether you invest in a little bit at the higher-end So you don't have to keep replacing tripods as frequently, or whether you say, "Oh, I don't mind replacing them or getting them refurbished."

You asked about -- "why would somebody watch the scanning videos?"

Maybe some might say, my wife might say, "Oh, this is as dull as dishwater." Moving a camera every 8 to 10 feet and repeat, repeat, repeat. But if you're thinking about buying -- if you're a real estate photographer and you're thinking about adding Matterport, you probably want to know about the workflow and what it is like doing the scanning.

- I mean, This room has a lot of dust also. So we're going to do a little lens blow after this, because I just think that this room in particular is,

I'm trying to not kick anything up, but it's dusty. And so I'm noticing there are some little particles on the lenses, and there's a fan in the camera. So you have to assume that if you're using it in a construction environment, the fan might suck in dust particles.

There's going to be wear and tear on your device. Just keep that in mind. And yeah, it is a little bit boring to watch somebody do Matterport, I admit. But I think that it's a good opportunity to learn and to share best practices with them.

- [Dan] Yeah, I mean, just simply watching where you are picking up the tripod from. "Do I pick it up from one of the tripod legs?" "Do I pick it up from the inside?"

All those little subtle things are kind of a reason to watch, to see. I think one of the things that we're not seeing ... stitching errors and then all of a sudden you have to delete a scan, go back and re-scan it.

- Right. Oh, sorry, I'm walking kind of fast.

- [Dan] You're good. My sense with the number of Matterport Service Providers that have Matterport Pro3 Cameras that upgraded from Matterport Pro2 Camera was, "Oh, look at that. I'm having fewer alignment error problems." "I'm having fewer errors of any kind."

- Let's do this, Dan. Because I know that people want to know what's going to happen when we go outside.

So let's do this. Let's take our way from the living room. And remember, I just sort of jumped over like the front half of the house. We're cool. Like it's no problem. And then what I'm going to do is scan there.

And then we'll go through the kitchen, and then it might see you in -- No, you're good.

And then we're going to come through the kitchen and we're going to basically make a beeline to go from here over through the kitchen, out the scullery and then onto the pool deck.

- [Dan] You've been doing this quite some time. Do you find that you still make cameo appearances in some of your Matterport tours by accident?

- Only in the glass.

- In the glass?

- Yeah, in the glass. In the glass.

- [Dan] And sometimes that can't be helped.

- Yeah, but then Matterport gave us the blur feature, and so it's kind of not that big of a deal now. I don't find that it's that much of an issue.

And then this is good timing, because as we go past my -- let me just, I have to think about chairs, looking like they're not tucked in even though...

Okay. And so we've made it, this front part of the house. This is what we skipped, all that. And then I'm gonna go through the kitchen, out the door, and into the backyard.

---
(Continues below ...)
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
(Continued from above...)
---

Video 5

- [Dan] I was hoping to make a cameo appearance in your $8 million Matterport digital twin of this $8 million listing.

- Yeah. Well-

- Thank you that you have confidence that I'm pretty good about staying outside of your scans.

- I think you're good. I think you're fine, Dan.

- Yeah. Yeah.

- [Dan] May fall into one of the air conditioning traps in the floor, but-

- Yes they are-

- [Dan] But I'll stay outta your Matterport scan.

- There are traps, so you should be careful. Let's see if we can jump this far. That's definitely a push, but I would like to get outside as fast as we can.

I've seen some of my colleagues go 40 feet, so that's not 40 feet, but should be fine. Like why I am confident that it's going to work is because even though my scan is here and I want to put it basically over here.

- [Dan] I'm having trouble seeing it because of the light. Maybe we can turn around this way.

- Sorry. So this is the scan. I did one here in the room, one there.

- [Dan] Hard to see.

- Still hard to see? Here, let's go over here. Okay. It's done. So it should work. Aligning your scan. So I felt like I have enough data here that it'll recognize that that's the spot and it worked.

- [Dan] Yep, great. Thank you.

- But you can see that it's not a good distance of space between the scans because I have all this black, like a lack of data underneath the scan. So I will need to continue to fill in a little more.

- [Dan] Okay. Awesome. So Emily has been gracious enough to let me follow along as she scans this 13,000 plus square foot home. Three floors, three levels, two different staircases to go upstairs, downstairs, a basement.

- Yeah. Cabana, we might make it to the cabana.

- [Dan] Yeah. But unfortunately before I knew Emily was coming to Atlanta, Ann and I had some social plans for tonight.

So we're jumping around a little bit so that we can see some of Emily scanning on the main level of the house, scanning outdoors, doing some staircases. Really, Emily's been kind enough to accommodate my schedule so that I can get some video

- It's good, Dan. It's all good.

- [Dan] But that's why we're jumping around a little bit as opposed to saying, well, why isn't Emily just staying in a straight line?

- I know, right?

- [Dan] And then just continuing to build the little mini-map of this entire floor.

- Exactly.

- [Dan] And then I think Emily actually has some time challenges and may not get the whole house done.

- I probably won't get the whole house done, but I'll get close to the whole house done.

And it's really a matter of dark spaces won't be as relevant and you don't need to see every nook and cranny. Some of the people who are obsessed with the dollhouse will say, "You could have just taken extra time to do that", but I feel like I said in the beginning, the idea behind this is having an impression of the space.

Like that's really what you need is, you need an impression of the space. You don't need full documentation of every room.

- [Dan] So this house is obviously still under construction. What's the advantage of doing a Matterport digital twin? Did I lose you? I'm-

- Yeah, oh, hold on. Now's the time where I have to open that door.

- [Dan] Yeah. Okay, good. In fact, it's probably helpful to know if you don't open the door, you might create a challenge for yourself where you can't walk outside.

- Yes. Yeah, exactly so-

- [Dan] It's a little bit hard to explain, but you have data and mesh and that can cause a problem if-

- Oh, oops. Actually I was in that scan. Now I have to start over.

- Okay.

- But yes, see how long it takes to cancel the scan. So that's really annoying. So you want to avoid that as much as possible.

- [Dan] Yeah. So that's me contributing to that.

- No, no, that was me because I was standing in the doorway.

- [Dan] So, how important is it to do a Matterport virtual tour of a house that's actually under construction rather than waiting until the house is totally done?

- If you want to try and sell the house earlier, then you should do it while it's under construction, but I think a lot of people have a hard time visualizing properties and spaces when they're under construction.

So I'm just going to put one here. We'll go one, two, and out the door.

- [Dan] So that's interesting. So when you're talking about an $8 million home, and I want to say the developer has estimated it might take another $500,000 to finish this house completely that-

- And they've already put in a few million I think, yeah.

- [Dan] So if they can get offers now for the most money before the whole house is completed, then everybody may be happy.

- Exactly.

- And as the developer talked about, the carrying costs on a house like this not being sold can be significant so it may be super-helpful to be able to do a Matterport digital twin now.

- Right.

- [Dan] And sell the house now and then even be able to have the house finished custom to the buyer.

Maybe they had a different thing in mind in terms of paint color, wall coverings, window treatments, et cetera.

And so this may not be that unusual because the house is actually worth so much money that you might not do this with a $350,000 listing that's being built, but for an $8 million listing.

- Right. Why not? So this is the moment where even though the... And I think I am going to blow the lens because as we go outside, it'll be more noticeable if there's any kind of particle or dust on the lens. So hang tight.

- [Dan] So what happens if you have dust? I have a lens cloth in my pocket, if that's helpful. Are you good?

- I think I'm just going to use a blower, a Rocket Air Blower.

- Okay.

- So I use these.

- Yep, so what happens if you don't get dust off the lens and it's bright sunlight outside?

- Mm, just more chance of solar flares and I don't know if you can see, but there was like... And there's a little bit of lens fog. We're going out to a warmer, more humid outdoors.

- [Dan] Might you have to let the camera sit for 15 minutes as we went from very cold to very hot/humid?

- You might, but I don't think we will. Let's see. Let's check our scan.

- [Dan] Okay.

- But I don't see it fogging up on the inside.

- [Dan] Yeah.

- But you might. I have heard that a hair dryer works really well for that.

- [Dan] Okay, we'll have to ask our community that. www.WeGetAroundNetworkForum.com

- Yeah.

- If anyone has been using a hairdryer as they went from cold inside environment to hot, muggy, humid outdoor environment.

- Yeah. Photographers do it. I don't know if anybody's used a hairdryer on a Matterport.

- Matterport.

- Have you used a hairdryer on a Matterport?

- [Dan] I have in a previous life, when I bought my Matterport Pro1 Camera July of 2014, I made a point of not putting the air conditioning on in the car.

- Oh.

- [Dan] So that the camera was already at a temperature that I was most likely to encounter on my shoot.

- Got it.

- In order to avoid foggy lenses.

- I mean, I see a tiny bit of lens fog maybe, but it's negligible.

- Okay.

- And let's just see if that scan took and then this is where we would be anticipating a problem if there were lens fog. And I don't, I see a stitch line, but I don't see-

- [Dan] Which is only in your preview.

- It's only on my preview so I-

- Emily, you've been doing this a long time, which means there was a time when this preview was not available.

- Was the preview not available? I don't even remember that. I mean, I've been doing this since 2015, so I can't recall when the preview showed up. Do you know when the preview showed up?

- [Dan] I don't, I don't recall.

- That's not on my timeline of Matterport, like things, but you have followed some of my videos, we've gone over my Matterport timeline and it does have sort of the evolution of the system and there's a lot of things that it's covering, but I don't know about that one. I don't know when that happened.

- [Dan] Yeah, I recall when I first started scanning, my first couple of scans were huge spaces.

- Oh really?

- You know, 50,000 square feet.

- With the Matterport Pro1?

- [Dan] With the Pro1 Camera. And I literally called Matterport on a Saturday and that was the early days and they took my call.

- Oh my gosh.

- And they said, "You know, we really never thought about someone shooting a space that big."

- Seriously.

- [Dan] So we'll have to.

- We'll have to get back to you Mr. Smigrod.

- [Dan] "We'll have to help you in post-production. So scan it as two scans, overlap your scans, and we will help stitch them together to create one Matterport tour."

- Wow.

- [Dan] That was the early days. But literally what they told me on the Saturday was, "Really? You're doing a space that's that big? We were just thinking people were going to use this to scan houses."

- They didn't know.

- Oh, and that was before doing two levels. And so when we started to do two levels, the Matterport scans, the hockey pucks, whatever on your iPad, floor one and floor two overlapped.

- Right.

- So you mentally had to know what you were doing. Gosh forbid you were doing three floors because it meant you saw the scans only on one layer.

- Yeah.

- For the first floor, second floor, and third floor.

- Wow.

- Now, obviously early on Matterport realized, "Oh, houses are more than one floor. We'll have to deal with that."

- Okay, you see this sort of shape filling in here of the stonework or that is outlining the exterior?

- Mm-hmm.

- It's really beautiful.

- Yeah.

- It's such a great design and all of those shortcomings... How am I doing? Am I getting dusty? I love it. Okay, so all those shortcomings of the early days.

- [Dan] How about my jeans? Are they staying clean? ;-)

- They're good. They're good. You look good. You'll be fine for dinner.

- [Dan] Oh, I'll take a shower and change. Okay. but

- these folks [new to Matterport] have it so good, right? These folks are using it now, they have it so easy.

- [Dan] Anyone who's starting now, yes, it's like, "oh, it's easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy." It just works. You don't get alignment errors. You get to see the mini-maps for all the floors that you're on. You can easily mark windows, mirrors, et cetera. And well, you've been through this so-

- Yeah.

- The evolution of technology.

- Exactly. One of the things that I think is still a bit of a mystery to me is when I'm scanning outdoors, I know that it's going to pick up the trees and I know it's going to pick up the exterior facade of the building, but I don't know, since I'm only looking at it in a 2D mini-map, it would be so rad, which I know it won't be possible, but because it has to process in the cloud first.

But I would love to see how much of the foliage -- I'm actually, I wish I could grab this and make this 3D.

You know, I would love to have more than a 2D view of the mini-map. That's on my wishlist.

- [Dan] I wonder if that's possible.

- I don't think so.

- No?

- I don't think it is. And one of the reasons I don't think so, and now we might want to walk around it.

- [Dan] Okay. I don't know if I can do that quick enough. This'll be good to see the camera rotate.

- Yeah. Here we go.

- So I'm going to try and stay.

- Yeah, watch out.

- [Dan] Behind Emily. I don't know if I can do that.

- Here we go. Yeah, you might have to jump over all of this.

- [Dan] Oh, here we go. Here we go. Jumping, jumping, jumping.

- I wish I had a-

- Going down the hill. Down the stairs. Down the stairs. Down the stairs. Down the stairs.

- You're good.

- [Dan] Oy. Oy. Oy.

- Oy, oy, oy. You're good, Dan.

- [Dan] Well, of course the Matterport Pro1 Camera, the Matterport Pro2 Camera-

- We're slower.

- [Dan] Was slower. I'm out of breath.

- Okay, now let's see. Maybe we put one [scan] here. Do you think you could walk around it? Maybe a little closer to me here?

- Yeah. Okay.

- And then here, let's do that again.

- Okay. Okay. Ready.

- Okay. It sometimes picks you up in the LiDAR even though-

- Uh-oh.

- No, no, no, not you, but like, it'll pick up the 3D mesh of you a little bit.

- [Dan] Yes. Actually, I think what it's going to see is us in the reflection of the water.

- Oh! Yeah, maybe.

- In the reflection, in the puddles we might-

- You think?

- [Dan] We might. Maybe not.

- Maybe. That would be interesting. Here. Put it right in the water here.

- [Dan] Okay.

- And I'm not concerned about that really.

- Glad that's not my tripod.

- Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. You know, we can go further. We can just go all the way over here.

- [Dan] Okay. The amazing thing is there is a tennis court here someplace. There is a-

- He said a tennis court. Well there's, yeah, there's definitely.

- [Dan] I thought there's a tennis court. Am I mistaken? I might be mistaken.

- No. I think you're correct. Just we haven't seen it yet. It's so big.

Now I am seeing, I wouldn't call it alignment issues yet that I would be concerned about, but I am seeing some overlapping or like some lines that are showing up in areas where I might not expect to see a line.

- [Dan] Yeah. We may not be able to see that with the glare.

- Oh, I'm sorry.

- That's okay. Ah, yes. Okay. So we're seeing overlapping scans where the wall is showing up in a different place.

- [Emily] Or that might be the upper wall.

- Yeah.

- And the lower wall. Again, this is why for me having a 3D view would be beneficial.

- [Dan] But my sense, Emily, is when you process the scan, everything aligns. It's nice. It does give you maybe a little bit of a heart attack the first time you see that and you go, "Oh"-

- Right, let's go put one here.

- [Dan] "It looks like there's a shadow and the wall is being captured just slightly ajar."

- Totally.

- In two different scans. But generally after you've done your first scan, you go, "Oh, it just works. That's okay."

- [Emily] Yeah, and our shadows might show up in this, but again, there's so much else going on in the scene that the last thing I think anybody's that worried about is a photographer's shadow.

- Yeah. But sometimes I do a big loop, like a huge loop around the Pro3 Camera so that I don't get my shadow in there either.

- Okay.

- But this is the hour of long shadows.

- Yeah.

- So you're more likely to have-

- Something has to give.

- Something's got to give.

- Literally, unless you say. "I'm only going to do outdoor when it's high noon, the sun is at the"-

- Zenith. Yeah.

- [Dan] "At zenith and there's no shadow. The shadow's falling below the tripod."

- Correct.

- You know, that's the difference between someone who wants to make money or someone who wants to be an artist. If you want to be an artist-

- here. Here we go.

- [Dan] You're not necessarily going to be making money if you limit your outdoor shoots to the hour that the sun is at, at zenith.

- [Emily] No, you would never do that. That would be silly. That would not be a good return on your time, investment at all, I don't think.

- [Dan] So, how long have you had the Matterport Pro3 Camera and what are your initial thoughts?

- [Emily] When did it come out? August last year?

- [Dan] It feels like August of 2022.

- Yeah, August, 2022. So I've had it since then.

- Yeah. And I bought it right away. Didn't hesitate to buy it and I'm glad that I have it. And I'll tell you that we may take a bigger loop here because of the water.

- Okay.

- So, we may show up in a reflection or two, but I'm not that worried about it.

- Okay.

- But if we keep moving-

- [Dan] I'm ready to sprint.

- Yeah, if we keep moving, we will be, it's like we are going to ghost, we'll show up as a ghost in it so it's not that big of a deal. Am I happy that I bought it?

Yes. Do I do a ton of Pro3 scans? No. I don't do a ton of Pro3 scans because I don't like the hosting on it, if it's on my account.

- [Dan] So you're talking about the Matterport Classic Plan and Matterport doesn't allow it.

- Yeah, yeah.

- [Dan] The use of the Matterport Pro3 Camera with the Matterport Classic Pricing, which goes back to 2019, which is a non-issue for anyone that's new, planning to buy a Matterport Pro3 Camera, you don't have a choice of having a grandfathered in account.

- One or the other. Correct. But a lot of our clients have their own Matterport account and so I use the Matterport Pro3 primarily for uploading to my client's accounts that already have a plan.

- [Dan] Ah, so it really depends on some of your clients, whether they have a Matterport Classic Plan as well-

- That's it.

- Then you're going to use a Matterport Pro2 Camera, which unfortunately means you're not taking advantage of the outdoor capability of the Matterport Pro3 Camera.

- Right. You'd have to just do it like with the Matterport Cortex conversion.

- [Dan] But it is what it is. And if your clients want you to upload to their Matterport Classic Pricing Plan, then you're going to use your Matterport Pro2 Camera.

- That's right. Yeah. And it's not that big of a deal to have Matterport Pro3 pricing plan and the Classic Plan or just, you could have just the Pro3 plan, I guess, if you switch to Pro3s, but we're not, we're also not doing as much Matterport scanning as we used to, to be honest.

- Uh-huh.

- We used to do a lot. I'm going to kind of walk through this tiny little puddle here.

- Okay.

- Are you okay with that?

- Yes. I'm-

- He's prepared.

- I am ready to dance through the raindrops of the-

- Okay. So.

- Am I allowed to splash? No splashing.

- No splash. You're fine. Again, proof that you can wear anything and scan with Matterport. I have worn hazmat. Let's just talk though, like I've worn hazmat suits. I've had to wear electric proof, full on shop floor type boots.

- Yeah.

- So I mean, there are certain scans where you really have to be well protected. This property, I had a feeling, was going to be pretty easy as far as the level of dirt.

- [Dan] I'm not leaving as much room between where the edge of the-

- Sorry. the water is here, but.

- Yeah, no, I'm not. Okay, here. Just let's be careful.

- Okay. I'll be good. Okay.

- Be good. Don't fall in.

- Okay.

- Don't fall in. I think the worst thing that's going to happen to you out here is a mosquito bite.

- [Dan] Okay. That's good. So I was wearing my blue booties and I think now that I'm going through the water, I think I'm going to take-

- They're wrecked.

- I'm going to take my shoes off when I go back into the house because the floors are actually very nice and I don't want to damage the floors.

- [Emily] You won't damage the floors, but that's nice of you.

- [Dan] Yes.

- Okay. So we are getting to the point where we've scanned almost more outside than we've scanned inside. So I think that's good. We'll just, let's see. We want to go another few minutes out here, Dan.

- [Dan] Okay, and then maybe do some stairs inside to see you adjusting the camera. So maybe another 15 minutes or-

- Maybe 10 more minutes out here. Maybe five more minutes.

- [Dan] And then go up the stairs and we'll finish up there.

- Yeah, I don't want to go, I don't think I need to go in there.

- [Dan] Yes. Okay, so we're not going to do the pool house?

- No, I'll maybe get to the front there, but it looks quite like there's a lot going on in there.

- [Dan] Okay.

- And I don't know that we need to show all that. You can see it from the outside and you can see there's a fireplace. I think that's really, that's good. And here, here I'll leave a little bit more space.

- Thank you.

- So you don't have to go tumbling down the stairs.

- Yeah.

- I mean, I feel like I'm seeing a lot of Atlanta in a short amount of time and not a lot of people do this, roll into town and then start shooting a mansion.

- [Dan] Yes, did you get a chance to stop at Ponce City Market?

- I did, I went for a walk, thanks to your recommendation.

I went for a walk on the BeltLine this morning and I saw two girls, twins, with like little workout outfits on and I asked them, I was like, "Do these, how do I get, I saw like a bridge that said Beltway and so I was like, "Hey, is there a place to walk up here?"

And they were like, "Yeah, it looks really sketchy, but come on up." And then they showed me where to go. Let's see if I can make this jump.

- [Dan] Yeah. The Atlanta BeltLine is-

- Oh, BeltLine, yeah.

- It is one of the sites to see in Atlanta. Think of it as a loop around Atlanta.

- Oh, that one didn't work. That was our first error.

- [Dan] Did we have an error message?

- Yeah, scan alignment didn't work. So I couldn't, sorry. It actually already went off the screen, but-

- [Dan] Oh, okay. We're going to go back up?

- We have to go back up.

- [Dan] Okay, so that's pretty good Emily, because you've only had one scan error in the whole time that we've been scanning, and I would say if you're doing a Matterport Pro2 Camera indoors, you would've had more alignment errors and certainly you couldn't have done this.

- No. Let's also look at some of the reasons for why with a Pro2, for example, this would've happened as well.

And one of the reasons that I'm imagining is that as you can see, the range of the camera, if you think of it scanning 3D objects in a plane, right now, has almost nothing around it.

It has just the ground, right? And so there are no walls, there's just the stuff down here for it to align to. So let's see if placing it where we were, again, if we get a better outcome, we may have to scoot back, closer to these stairs.

- [Dan] Yes. So that's a-

- Here, let's see if it works.

- [Dan] Yeah. That's a good point. So from scan to scan, Matterport -

- It worked.

- [Dan] It works. So Matterport is looking for common points of, to intersect to say, "Ah, I see these same points in the previous scan so this is how I align it."

When you're scanning outside, you don't have the benefit of the walls, the ceiling-

- You Have just the single plane usually.

- Yeah, so.

- And then a little bit of variation, but then the camera might start to see repetitive features like stairs, walls, reflective surfaces, like rain. Those may start to throw the camera off and those would just be based on -- I don't know that that's scientifically accurate, but that would be my thought.

- [Dan] Yeah.

- That's what I would think.

- [Dan] Okay.

- And let's see if it was able to make that jump. Sure. We're here now and there's the pool house. So probably, I could probably walk on the sand.

Let's see. It looks a little hard packed. So it looks all right. Now here I'll definitely want to drop this down, just a touch. But we'll have to like walking around this. Are you ready?

- Ready.

- Okay. Okay. No sand between my toes so far. But man, a hard rain would...

- [Dan] So I've shot on a construction site and that does require a whole set of equipment and gear, special shoes, special vests, special hard hat so something to keep in mind if you are shooting.

I'm guessing because you came right from a meeting that you didn't stop to bring water and snacks, but that you would normally do that.

- I have a little PowerBar in my bag, but I'm really not hungry because the food at the event was so good. I had authentic, Not Yo' Mama's Mac 'n' Cheese.

- [Dan] Oh, trademark of Atlanta.

- Yeah. Not Yo' Mama's Mac 'n' Cheese. I had so many good things to eat that I honestly was like, "I'm not even hungry."

- Oh, that's awesome.

- Okay, let's do one more thing here.

- Okay. I lied about scanning here and then we'll go up the stairs. Okay?

- Okay. So, since it is hot, certainly recommended-

- Oops.

- Oh, sorry. I think I just left my-

- You lost your-

- [Dan] I lost my blue booty in your shot. Well, I suppose it goes with the ambience of the space.

- It does, it goes with the ambience of the space.

Now, if I wanted to make this an extra special 3D model, one thing I could do, Dan, and I just realized is that I thought we needed a bridge to cross over, but right behind you is a pathway to get to there. But I'll continue that after you take off.

- [Dan] Okay.

- Because I think-

- [Dan] So that's the lagoon or the swimming pool.

- Mm-hmm.

- Obviously that'll look beautiful when finished and really will be one of the main selling points of the home is to be able to look out from that floor-to-ceiling window in the living room and look out on, just totally surrounded by trees and the lagoon in the heart of Atlanta.

- So epic. So epic.

- Okay.

- Are we going inside?

- Yeah, let's go inside.

Video 5A

- Okay, we're back inside and we are about to tackle this absolutely incredible feature of the home which is the spiral staircase to go upstairs.

And so I brought my Pro3 Camera back in from doing the exterior, doing the lagoon and the pool. And so I just want to show you guys how I tackle stairs. So we're going to do one scan here because we were outside.

And so it's a really big difference in distance from there to here. So we just need to make sure that the Matterport Pro3 Camera aligns properly.

Or we may need to re-scan from the foyer. So let's just see if we can get it to remember where it is and then we'll go up the stairs. We are now at 53 scans. This in the previous version of the Pro2 Camera would've taken 150 scans.

- [Dan] And three or four times longer?

- [Emily] Yeah, yeah, we would have maybe done as much of-

- So one of the nice things with the Matterport Pro3 Camera is you don't need to go seven to 10 feet. You can have great distance between scans if that's appropriate.

- [Emily] Boom, right there.

- Yeah.

- We're right there. So we're good.

- Yeah.

- So I'm going to place my tripod at the base of the stairs and we'll just disappear around the corner like we normally do. Thanks for watching by the way because it can't see you, right?

- Nope.

- Yeah, thanks for watching because this is something that I've been doing since 2015 and I have shot many, many, many spaces, all kinds of spaces.

I've shot homes like these, luxury properties, I've shot really not great properties that are small and unimpressive. And so, it's nice to be able to have the experience to tackle any kind of space.

And I do think that the Matterport Pro3 Cameras now pretty much I can't think of a property that you wouldn't be able to scan with it.

- [Dan] Yeah, tell us your strategy with the stairs.

- Okay.

- [Dan] What are you going to do and why?

- Well, I think that this is just the way that we were originally told to do it, but just for navigation, you want to go every four stairs.

So if I have a scan at the stair landing and then I want to go four, so I count with this one here. So this is one, two, three, four.

And remember to keep your back legs with two in the back for stability. And then you're just bringing your tripod down and then leveling it.

And we talked earlier about when you changed camera heights, so this is exactly when you change camera heights.

It's great if you can keep one of the legs the same, but if you're ever uncertain, like maybe you're doing a spiral staircase, like I just shot a spiral staircase in Mill Valley, California.

It was very steep and I wasn't sure if the camera was stable enough.

So what I will do is, here, Dan, I'll show you.

So what I'll do is I'll actually just start the Pro3 Camera and stand here and just make sure this is like the one time I will waste time, but I'll waste time just to make sure nothing, no shake is happening or no instability issues are happening.

- [Dan] Okay, and it's worth noting you have, as you mentioned, of the three legs, two are downhill.

- Yeah.

- One is uphill.

- Yeah.

- You used one scan just to make sure that there weren't any stability issues.

- Like half a scan, yeah.

- [Dan] And because this staircase is wide enough and this is a luxury that you won't need to collapse the tripod lower-

- Tiny.

- Lowering the tripod in order to have the distance between the tripod legs not exceed the distance of the staircase. So this isn't kind of a nice luxury of a staircase. Plus-

- This is so easy.

- Plus it also means that once you've set your height on that short leg.

- Yeah.

- You can go right up the stairs totally.

- Exactly.

- Without any issues.

- Exactly. Once you've set it, it's usually going to be consistent all the way upstairs.

- [Dan] Yeah, and we do have a member of the We Get Around Network Forum that did a lighthouse. So it's all doable.

And that's kind of neat. If you go to the We Get Around Network Forum you can see a lighthouse in St. Simons Island.

- Oh, awesome.

- [Dan] But that was shot with the Matterport Pro1 Camera.

- Mm.

- Matterport Pro3 Camera would've made that easy-peasy.

- Oh my God, yeah. They shot it with the Pro1

- Yeah. You know, it's kind of like you say, oh, you know.

- One, two, three, four.

- [Dan] What kind of creative challenge can I do today with my Matterport Camera? And the lighthouse certainly was.

- I think that it's not even you that determines the challenge. It's like your clients are gonna come at you with crazy spaces.

- Yeah, well that was more of a creative exercise to say could I actually do a lighthouse? Just like people say, "Oh, can I do a cave with the Matterport?"

- Yeah.

- [Dan] And so I think some of the early people that did caves weren't necessarily clients. but they had a friend or colleague that-

- Yeah.

- [Dan] Had access to a cave and said, "Sure, come on."

- Oh, for mining underground. For all of those reasons.

- Yeah.

- It's awesome. And I think that this Pro3 Camera would perform even better. Low light. We talked about traveling lights, so I didn't bring any lights with me. We're definitely losing some light here.

- Yeah.

- As the clouds rolled in. So there are lots of third-party software solutions where we can adjust the exposure to our Matterport model if we want to.

- [Dan] Where would you put the lights on a Pro3?

- Good question. I probably wouldn't to be honest.

- [Dan] Okay.

- You've only really got a couple choices. You'd have to mount it here.

- No, I don't think so.

- Where do you put it? I don't know.

- [Dan] Well, with the Matterport Pro2 Camera, Emily, what I would do when I went outside and scanned.

- Yeah.

- [Dan] I'm going to try and pass you if I can.

- [Emily] Sure.

- [ Dan] If I took my iPhone and I used it to kind of dither in light just like you would in a darkroom if there were any photographers that remember. ;-) Flashing the light as you're panning?

- [Dan] Dithering it meaning taking your-

- [Emily] Can I go ahead?

- [Dan] Yes, I'm outta the shot. Is just shaking your iPhone so that it doesn't burn in light in one particular spot.

- Oh.

- [Dan] And it's just like waving it behind the camera.

- [Emily] Yeah.

- [Dan] And the camera's not seeing uneven light.

- [Emily] Right.

- [Dan] It's just seeing there's light there.

- [Emily] Wow.

- [Dan] And I had success doing that.

- [Emily] Wow.

- [Dan] A space like this, if this wasn't lit, it might not be unreasonable to go to Home Depot, get contractor lights.

- Get some lamps. Yeah.

- And say, okay, it's part of the texture of a construction site.

- [Emily] Right.

- [Dan] Who cares that you got construction lights lighting up the space so that you can do an unfinished space that doesn't have lighting.

- Okay, maybe last one and then we can do a 360 outside.

- Okay.

- What do you think?

- [Dan] Okay.

- Since we haven't shown the 360 yet. We've only been showing the Pro3.

- Okay.

- I think that would be nice to show people.

- Okay. And we can take a 360.

- Okay. So you went up every four steps. So when you get to the top and you're going to also do one at the very top of the landing.

- Correct, yeah. Yeah.

- Best practices.

- Best practices, that way you can see where the next scan is. Outdoors it's fine if it's bigger jumps.

- [Dan] Okay.

- So you have one more scan really to do here.

- Just up here.

- At the top of the landing.

- That's right.

- Every so often I've heard that people have had, if they've been doing heavy scanning like this, they will get loose.

So Dan, just check it out. So this mount will get loose. So and after you've done that a number of rotations, just check it, make sure you're on there tight.

- [Dan] You just did and it tightened, didn't it?

- [Emily] Well, it went like a millimeter.

- [Dan] Little bit.

- And then this, this moved too. That was me moving this.

- Okay.

- But below this mount.

- Okay.

- So just, I would just be sure that you're-

- [Dan] If you go to: www.WeGetAroundNetwork Forum.com and you look at the "Tags Only" section, there's a Tag called Matterport "Pro3 Problems"

- Oh.

- And so anything like that where the mount has gotten loose or someone felt like they had a defective connector or there was a problem with the batteries, they're all documented in the We Get Around Network [www.WGANForum.com] and there's a Tag for that. So just go into Tags Only search.

- Okay.

- [Dan] Like ["Pro3 Problems"] and you'll find it.

- Okay.

- Okay.

- Great.

- [Dan] So we're going to actually go back outside here.

- Yeah. So we're gonna take the camera back outside and then we can wrap up our tutorial/WGAN-TV on Location and show everybody how we do this.

- [Dan] And you're being extra careful with your $6,000 Pro3 Camera as you walk down the stairs.

- And balancing a book on my head.

Video 6

- Oh my gosh! Emily! We just finished hours of doing Matterport.

- Yes.

- And DSLR photography, this $8 million, 2 acre home in the middle of Atlanta.

- We found rooms we didn't even know existed.

- It's true, in fact, I got here a little bit before you, I went searching and then I said, "Emily, I know I saw a bathtub here, this ginormous bathtub." Oh, and that's probably the only one that's been installed so far.

- That's right.

- Anyway, thank you so much for being a guest, my guest on WGAN-TV on Location in Atlanta to bring us this "how to use digital assets to help sell an $8 million listing that's still under construction."

- Exactly, the property was purchased in 2021, they're trying to sell it in 2023.

I hope that what we created today, and thank you, Dan, for coming along and basically like documenting my thinking out loud as I scanned this property and as I did the DSLR photography and my thinking out loud about how I am approaching this property so that I can help the REALTOR, help the owner, the developer, the investors be able to get a return on their investment, sooner rather than later.

So we are going to basically use all of the media at our disposal to come up with a strategy now, and I can't wait to use this for marketing and for helping sell this house.

- Yes, in fact, I'm going to give you one more spin on that because I could imagine that a potential buyer of this $8 million house, as super-geeky as this video has been, specifically for real estate photographers that either do or are thinking about using a Matterport Pro3 Camera.

- This guy right here

- That we still could have a potential buyer watching the video all to the end, and the question is, where do I find all the digital assets that you took today?

- Exactly, and as we learned, when we were talking to the owner and developer, this house has actually been measured four different times at four different stages of the process, and now we have a new as-built.

And so, that is valuable information and data for the owner, as well. So maybe, as a closing gift to them, this Matterport scan will have yet another lifetime or another life as a design and planning document.

- So where do you go to see the Matterport digital twin, the DSLR photos, anything else that you've created today, the address is?

- The address, again, for those watching, is 1890 West Paces Ferry Road in Atlanta, Georgia.

You can check out all of the content that we will be creating for this on the Hopscotch Interactive YouTube channel, on our website, www.HopscotchInteractive.com and we'll also probably be doing a much longer, in-depth blog post and having additional information on Instagram as well.

So we'll be teasing it out over time.

- And just like digital twins, we're kind of a digital twin. So in addition to this video airing on Hopscotch Interactive YouTube channel, also airing on WGAN-TV on Location.

For Emily, I'm Dan Smigrod, Founder of the We Get Around Network Forum, and you've been watching WGAN-TV on Location.

- And thank you, Dan, for having me on WGAN-TV, again, it is such a pleasure to collaborate with you, thank you for all the opportunities you give to me and to the community.

I'm just so grateful that you've dedicated so much of your time and your passion for these technologies so that other people can learn, and I'm happy to share with all of you.

So please don't hesitate to contact me and thank you so much.

- www.HopscotchInteractive.com and

www.WeGetAroundNetworkForum.com

Thanks for tuning in.

- Thanks, bye.
Post 3 IP   flag post
103404 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?